Kaseya Community

Monitoring External Devices via SNMP

• How do we monitor EXTERNAL devices via SNMP? NO we cannot ping these devices, and NO there is no "local" SNMP agent available to them.

Thanks!

Legacy Forum Name: Monitoring External Devices via SNMP,
    Legacy Posted By Username: shaaad
  • Kaseya does SNMP monitoring via the Agent. Kaseya's uniqueness is the outbound architecture which enables it to work so seemlessly from behind firewalls over the net, so that means there has to be an agent involved to allow connectivity.

As long as you have a Kaseya agent somewhere on some machine that is in the same subnet as the device then you can use SNMP. SNMP can not be routed to a different subnet, this is a limitation of the way that IP and SNMP work, and nothing to do with Kaseya.

I hope this answers your question?

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • In order for kaseya (or any SNMP monitoring tool) to query SMNP you have to enable SNMP on the device. Things such as routers or switches have management consoles that let you enable snmp and set things such as the community name.

You then ask a kaseya agent on that network to "lan watch" its subnet, and this will return a list of SNMP enabled devices. From this point you can configure kaseya to query specific SNMP details.

Further information can be found by going to the monitor tab -> SNMP Sets.

Legacy Posted By Username: jnuttall
  • Both of these posts make perfect sense.

We must have missed the note when reviewing the capabilities of this platform.

I imagine we will need to ability to monitor devices using SNMP using a different, designated host. not just a single agent, that is only capable of scanning a single subnet. I do know we would need to have direct SNMP access to the SNMP target.

I also noticed that "external monitoring" does not allow you to categorize a device being monitored into a different group. IE, You cannot externally monitor devices for multiple external customers from a single agent.

Does it make sense what I am asking for?

• You can monitor multiple external devices using the external check, you will just need a 'common' machine to use. Maybe a Kaseya agent on your Kaseya server? Just be careful not to load to many check's onto a single machine, as it will eventually effect the performance of the end-point machine.

You can also use the 'custom' option to send a command from your own telnet command or run a command line snmp utility if need be. Really depends what you are trying to acheive?

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • Simply put, We're trying to replace SolarWinds. and add the functionality, reporting, and alerting of Kaseya. For all of our customers.