Kaseya Community

how do I turn "Create Alarm" off

• We have quite a few clients that are reporting with alarms. I'm unable to turn this off under Alert Moniroting as it is greyed out. How do I stop certain Alerts from trigring an Alarm?

Legacy Forum Name: how do I turn "Create Alarm" off,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ccravino
  • You cant..Sad

At least from what I have seen.

God Bless,

Marty

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • I've recently set up a Dummy Kaseya box at our office to test this exact problem, as i'd love to get rid of alarms that i don't want to know about as well.

So far, i've tinkered with a few pieces of the ASP Code, and managed to enable the check box under the monitoring. However, upon testing the functionality of it, i've found that it's still generating alarms, and not displaying things correctly.

To me, it looks like the Check Box for alarms is greyed out for a reason, as it could very well be a coding issue- at least from what I perceive it to be.

Legacy Posted By Username: stevendevries
  • example.JPG
    perhaps i'm missing something.... but just hit the "Clear" button with a machine checked while looking at a specific alarm (not the "Summary" page") and that will clear it out.

edit: wasn't sure it was clear, so i mspaint'ed it Wink

Legacy Posted By Username: fisofo
  • fisofo, when I was talking about the ASP Code, I was referring to the Greyed-Out Check box, Create Alarm, that you can see in the image. There are some things that we monitor and use with reporting purposes that we really don't need alarms popping up all the time if they are just for informational purposes.

The main one that we use is that alot of our clients already have SBS Backup, Backup Exec, etc. and we just monitor the event logs for when the jobs complete, and we have Kaseya set up to log the amount of successful and failed backups and we report on that to our clients. I'm a bit cheesed off that whenever a backup succeeds, it still creates an alarm for it, when I really don't want it to - i'd only want to know if a backup fails, and create the alarm then.

This was why I started playing with the code, but it appears like there's alot of issues to play with to get it to work, and in the long run, it doesn't appear to be worth the hassle of it all.

I would like to stress to Kaseya, that enabling this sort of functionality would be ideal for future releases of the product, at least so alot of MSPs can customise how much alerting they want, if they are in a similar position to what we are.

• sorry for my confusion, can you explain just a bit more though?

we have Kaseya set up to log the amount of successful and failed backups and we report on that to our clients.

how are you doing this? through the event log?

I'm a bit cheesed off that whenever a backup succeeds, it still creates an alarm for it, when I really don't want it to.

Again, is this from the event log? If so, you can exclude the event, but perhaps that would not allow you to report on successful backups? Is that what you mean?

I don't want to beat a dead horse, I know what you mean by the "Creat Alarm" box being greyed out, but if you don't want something to alarm you can just clear it out using the Clear button like I explained... unless you want to be able to use the email option or one of the others without the Alarm being created, is that what you mean?

Just trying to help!

• fisofo wrote:
    sorry for my confusion, can you explain just a bit more though?

we have Kaseya set up to log the amount of successful and failed backups and we report on that to our clients.

how are you doing this? through the event log?

I'm a bit cheesed off that whenever a backup succeeds, it still creates an alarm for it, when I really don't want it to.

Again, is this from the event log? If so, you can exclude the event, but perhaps that would not allow you to report on successful backups? Is that what you mean?

I don't want to beat a dead horse, I know what you mean by the "Creat Alarm" box being greyed out, but if you don't want something to alarm you can just clear it out using the Clear button like I explained... unless you want to be able to use the email option or one of the others without the Alarm being created, is that what you mean?

Just trying to help!

Point 1: Yes, we have Kaseya watching the event logs for the events that the various backup programs leave. I then have custom scripts that runs on the event of a successful or failed backup (based on the event ID) that runs against the server that is being monitored for events. I then use these scripts and the amount of times they have been run in the last 30 days when I generate reports for clients with how many successful and failed backups they have had. We choose to use Event Log monitoring for existing client backups as we couldn't justify using the Backup Module at this stage.

Point 2: As it stands, Kaseya ALWAYS creates an alarm for any monitoring that you set up\assign to an agent.When the event is detected in the log, (so it meets the condition set in monitoring), it creates an alarm with the information from the log. In our case, whether the backup succeeds or fails, it makes an alarm which is visible in the console. This is what frustrates me. If a backup succeeds, i'm happy to receive an email that says it has, but don't want an alarm to be stuck in the console as well, as i only have to go and manually delete it. If a backup fails, I want the alarm there so I can create a ticket from it automatically. This is something that I want to see in future versions, as we've been thinking of having an LCD screen on the wall that displays the console in full screen all the time, so we can see if there are any problems across the board, and it is quite silly to have alerts that are being generated for items that don't need to be dealt with (successful backups in this case).

Point 3: Hope this is cleared up by the above 2 points. If not, feel free to PM me if you've got any major concens.

• no problemo, your second point cleared up my confusion... basically creating alarms for some event log id's and not for others while still being able to track them/email them. Monitoring without alerting.

I'm sure you've thought of this, one way we've gotten around this (many of our clients have Backup Exec) is to have backup exec do the email alerting itself and then exclude the events from Kaseya. That way we get the "Backup Success" email and no alert in Kaseya.

Of course, the point is to use Kaseya... and if the backup program can't alert you, you're out of luck.

Oh, I've also just started using the B.E. performance counters, we'll see how those work. Doesn't help with our clients that have other backup solutions though.

• We already have BEX sending email alerts, apart from 2 clients that repeatedly keep failing to do so. We'll eventually do away with email alerting if we can figure it out.

• Been a long time complaint - ever since alerting was redone (I think it was 4.7 but maybe 4.6 - don't remember the exact time frame). I specifically asked support if there's ANY way of alerting via e-mail but not setting an alarm. The basic response was "no" and that there were no plans for changing this and that it was by design and simply how alarms are handled.

My main reason for wanting this is the application change alerts. Lots of things change on machines for lots of reasons; I often get at least several dozen app change alerts mailed to me every day. Very easy to down-arrow through them in Outlook and see they're unimportant and then delete them. Not nearly as easy to go into Kaseya and see each alarm and then reset the status.

Another reason is a system that is experiencing hard drive errors. I've got a few systems out there that have drives with bad spots. The clients know and they'll be getting the machines replaced/repaired someday soon. Long story. I don't want to disable monitoring for those machines because I want to know by the LACK of e-mail alerts that the machines have finally been fixed. But having to go in and clear several dozen alarms every day is a PITA.

Counting things in the Executive Summary Report is also one of those annoying things where you have to generate alarms to be able to count them.

I've actually started writing a small program that breaks the rules (grin) and goes into the SQL database directly and resets the status of the alarms for specific event types. Way behind on programming projects, but that's one of those things on the list that's in the works. Not sure how that would help anyone ELSE, but... (grin)

There's another case of bad handling of alarms... times when you want something to automatically reset an alarm. Let's say a machine (like a server) goes offline. You want to alarm on that, of course. But then let's say that the machine goes back ONLINE... you probably want to reset that alarm because you no longer have to take care of it (and it is a complete waste of time to have to reset TWO alarms - the offline alarm and then the back online alarm). No real fix for that one, either - other than writing an outside program that accesses the SQL data directly and looks for those specific types of entries.

Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • warever, I've had a bit of a look through the SQL Database, but couldn't find the exact table for where to make any manual modifications. If you're able to offer some insight into this, I'll be able to look into this further with our resident SQL guru in the office.

Keep in mind as well, that there are several locations within Kaseya that need to have monitoring turned off (Alerts, Security, Backup, etc.). I think there is at least 7-8 ASP documents that I tweaked with to try and bypass in my earlier failed attempts at getting this to work.

• Don't remember off the top of my head; I'll have to do some digging (and it is after midnight right now and I'm about to go crash - early for me for a change).

Change that... did a little digging... table monitorAlarm best I can tell from my 2 minutes of digging (without looking at any of my notes)

Name is Jeff, by the way (Warever is the company name)...

The worst thing you can do to Kaseya (besides trying to add colums to a table - don't ask how I know that (grin)) is to modify the ASP files. For one thing, you can easily break Kaseya. For another, a hotfix or an upgrade can easily wipe out any changes you've made.

Although not officially kosher, you're FAR better just accessing the data in the database via SQL (until they have a real API/SDK).

Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • As far as i know, you cann't turn off the ALARM, by default it is ON all the time. Only you can turn OFF are alerts (e-mail alerts). Wink

Good Luck.

Legacy Posted By Username: aidrees