Kaseya Community

Determining a True Server Outage

• What's the best way to determine if a client's server is actually down? If the server goes offline, we get an alert. I would like to then execute a script that checks the status of the other devices on that network. Can I run a script or report on our Kserver that checks for other devices being up or down? Ideally, I'd first want to check to see if the client'sInternet connection is down. If its up, then I want check for all devices being offline, such as the case of a power outage.

Anybody doing something like this?

Thanks!
    Bill

Legacy Forum Name: Determining a True Server Outage,
    Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • There is a few ways you can do this.

1. you can have other machines on the same gateway alert upon going offline, that way it may be an Internet issue.

2. you can use external monitoring and monitor the server from another "reliable" workstation or server in the environment and then alert based upon that as well.

3. or using the above method have a script that fires off when the server goes offline that performs a ping of some sort from another machine and then based upon the status of that it determines if it will notify you or if it is a false positive.

There are a number of ways that you can do this, you just have to set them up based upon your environment.

God Bless,

Marty

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MissingLink
  • I'm puttering around with something along those lines, as the "agent hasn't checked in" alert isn't necessarily the best way to tell if a server is actually down. One possible solution, at least for clients with more than one server, is to set up ping checks (for example) from one server to another. If their Internet connection goes down, the ping checks simply won't run since the Agent won't be able to "get" the ping job from the Kaseya server. Of course, I also need a more reliable Internet check, which may involve using the Kaseya server itself as a ping tester against the firewalls at the various clients.

As an aside: Too bad we don't have test dependencies such as one finds in Servers Alive, eh? (Not that SA is terribly useful in our line of work. I'm just sayin'.)

None of this helps us with the really small client shops whose only 24/7 machine is their lone server, though. I may need to adapt some non-Kaseya equipment (gasp!) to fill that gap. Hmm...

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • We thought about pinging the client's default gateway at the ISP as a check for the Internet Service. If a query or report from the Kserver could show me the # of online devices, if that was "0", then I could assume (I know, not a good word) that the entire network was down. It could still be a firewall issue and the network still be functional (internally) though.

Legacy Posted By Username: billmccl
  • That's kind of a neat idea, actually: If we could set a "number of online machines in a group" threshold alarm, we could tell right away that either their Internet connection was down or they'd just suffered a major power outage. Either way, the phone will be ringing, eh?

The minimum number would have to be configurable, though, as many of our clients include "road warriors" who connect from outside their normal office location. A recent power outage at one of our clients resulted in merely four of their 20-some-odd machines being online, for instance.

Still: Good feature suggestion! (Kaseya folks? Can this be done, some time down the road? Pretty please?)

Legacy Posted By Username: GreyDuck
  • Has there been any additonal thoughts or work on this.

If I setup a script that will run a ping after a connection failure to verify a that is a connection failure or a server down, how do I get it to chage an alert status on the monitoring status list?

Legacy Posted By Username: glenn@micromarket.on.ca
  • again, any updates?

Legacy Posted By Username: expertcomp
  • not sure what others are doing, but we've just setup our client firewalls to respond on a particular port, then use the "External Monitoring - System Check" to check that port from the kserver.

Of course, the clients need to have a static public ip or a dynamic dns name assigned to the firewall.

Anyway, just a thought.

Legacy Posted By Username: fisofo