Kaseya Community

Backup Exec Monitor Set List

• Backup Exec.zip
    Only has the services for restarting - need to do counters later

Legacy Forum Name: Backup Exec Monitor Set List,
    Legacy Posted By Username: AlexPyle
  • HqGbj5 szqewgsnqqof, fhiuuodtamlr, pwqclaersnyq, http://fgmjwycqrdyp.com/

[edited by: Anonymous at 1:43 AM (GMT -7) on 4-1-2011] HqGbj5 szqewgsnqqof, fhiuuodtamlr, pwqclaersnyq, http://fgmjwycqrdyp.com/
  • sounds interesting!

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: sourceminer
  • byulke - I'd love to see this monitor set as I'm trying to monitor/prevent thoseBackupExec jobs that occassionally seem to run for days. Possible to share?

Legacy Posted By Username: JHeyesen
  • I use the event log entries to verify my backup job completed or failed. BTW, I also recommend you set the alert categories for media insert and media overwrite to cancel automatically after a while. I personally use 5 minutes, as no one is on-site when the job is running.

I would like to see Kaseya implement a method of alerting based on the "You wanted to know"concept.There are information type of eventslike backup job completion, UPS self test, etc.If you only look for failures what happens if the process hangs or doesn't start in the first place? It would be slickto have trending that couldalert you if an event entry (job failed, job completed, etc.) for backup did not happen within a certain time frame. For example: A backup status should be reported every 24 hours, it not it alerts you no backup was performed so you can check on it.

Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • byulke wrote:
    I'm wondering if anyone has created counters for monitoring Backup Exec. I currently have only one counter, BE Engine Mount Time set to "43200" (12 hours). It monitors how long a media has been mounted. Though, to be honest, I'm not sure how useful it really is.

Does anyone else have any counters or more services/processes monitored for Backup Exec?

Byulke-

We tried doing this and have had some unfortunate side effects. On all the machines that we applied this monitor set to, they started to log perlib errors like crazy in the application log:

Event Type:Error
    Event SourceStick out tongueerflib
    Event Category:None
    Event ID:1023
    Date:12/5/2006
    Time:11:49:23 AM
    User:N/A
    Computer:FIDO
    Description:
    Windows cannot load extensible counter DLL MSSQL$BKUPEXEC, the first DWORD in data section is the Windows error code.

The most common database it was showing for was BackupExec, but it was also displaying this error at some sites for SBSMONITORING and WSUS. Within minutes of removing the monitoring set, the error vanished.

Does anyone know what we could do to resolve this error? For the mean time, we have removed this counter from our BEX monitoring set. Thanks in advance.

Legacy Posted By Username: BKing
  • There is a fix on Microsoft.com about this Bug/error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912399

Legacy Posted By Username: sourceminer
  • sourceminer wrote:
    There is a fix on Microsoft.com about this Bug/error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912399

Thanks for the speedy reply Sourceminer. I saw this article durring my initial research, but discounted it after I saw it was referring to SQL 2005 and the file "msmdctr90.dll" did not exist on the server. After you pointed me at it again though, I dug a bit deeper and found a file named "sqlctr80.dll" in the "MSSQL$xxxxx\binn" folder. I granted read permissions to the folder and file and the errors immediately ceased. Going forward we have are now monitoring for Event ID 1023 from source "Perflib" so we know when to address this issue. Thank you for putting me back on track.

Legacy Posted By Username: BKing