Kaseya Community

VMWare vCenter 5.1 SNMP traps message - "Cannot format log-string"

This question is answered

Hi there,

Really hope someone can help with this one. I'm a bit of a newbie and may have missed something obvious.

I have assigned a server to capture SNMP traps from a VM machine and the trap handler message I get in the event log from an ESX 5.1 server is

"Could not format log-string"

We have other VM boxes that are sending nice looking messages successfully and I've checked the settings on those machines and it looks the same. MIBS are installed in the default VMware location. 

There is a difference between the other happy servers and my problem server :

VCenter 5.1.0 on Win 2012 - Cannot format log-string

ESX 4.10 on Win 2008 R2 - works ok

ESX 4.0.0 on Win 2003 - works ok

I've installed the trap handler on another server and pointed to it in VSphere and it still causes errors.

I'm leaning towards a change in the format of the strings sent by vCenter 5.1 but that's just a guess.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Removed references to ESX 5.1
[edited by: Dcomd at 6:43 PM (GMT -7) on Oct 31, 2013]
Verified Answer
  • Hi Dcomd,

I have seen this issue when the message/format of the SNMP Trap being sent is not able to be parsed into the event log description.

However, I have not been able to find a resolution or workaround for these type of cases.

It may be worth a shot to test these SNMP Traps in KNM.

If you do not have KNM (Kaseya Network Monitor), there is a 30-day trial period after initial installation.

Here is the link for the installer:

download.kaseya.com/.../knmsetup.exe

Nicolas

All Replies
  • Hi Dcomd,

I have seen this issue when the message/format of the SNMP Trap being sent is not able to be parsed into the event log description.

However, I have not been able to find a resolution or workaround for these type of cases.

It may be worth a shot to test these SNMP Traps in KNM.

If you do not have KNM (Kaseya Network Monitor), there is a 30-day trial period after initial installation.

Here is the link for the installer:

download.kaseya.com/.../knmsetup.exe

Nicolas

• Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the reply. Apparently there is a issue with the formatting of these messages in Kaseya and a fix is on the way.