Kaseya Community

VMWARE monitoring

This question is answered

Hello,

I thought there was a vmware addon on Kaseya 6.3 which you can use for monitoring. Problem now i can't find it.

Can someone help me out of me dream? :)

Sander

[edited by: Sander Rozemuller at 7:25 AM (GMT -8) on Jan 28, 2013] nfo
Verified Answer
  • It used to be called "Kaseya Virtual Machine Management" and it was in Controlled Release for a while; however, the project as a separate add-on has been abandoned and instead the functionality (and things they've learned from the Controlled Release) will enable them to integrate core features from what once was KVMM into the rest of the product (i.e. KNM and the Discovery module).

• Integrated version of KNM will begin testing shortly.

All Replies
  • It used to be called "Kaseya Virtual Machine Management" and it was in Controlled Release for a while; however, the project as a separate add-on has been abandoned and instead the functionality (and things they've learned from the Controlled Release) will enable them to integrate core features from what once was KVMM into the rest of the product (i.e. KNM and the Discovery module).

• So for now we need the KNM module and the discovery module. Any one knows when the features are intergrated?

• Integrated version of KNM will begin testing shortly.

• Looking forward to it. Thank you

• RA - I know you need to test but do you have even a rough idea when it'll be GA.  We're trying to merge in a lot of clients that are currently using GFI and they are using SNMP heavily on VMWare and Mitel devices.  The sooner we can monitor from a single application the better.  I'm happy to be a guinea pig.

• Alistair - I'm just a developer, I cant speak dates or dollars, I'll see if I can get somebody that can answer.

[edited by: RA at 11:28 AM (GMT -8) on Jan 29, 2013] aasdd
  • No such thing as 'just a developer' ;-)

Thanks for responding.

• It was my understanding that "Kaseya Virtual Machine Management" provided features like the ability to start and stop VMs, create snapshots, etc.

So that I am clear, will KNM offer true monitoring features for a VMware host?

Lloyd

• >  will KNM offer true monitoring features for a VMware host?

Yes, we have several monitor types that are directly related to monitoring VMWare, such as the VMWare performance monitor and the CIM monitor.

help.kaseya.com/.../index.htm

help.kaseya.com/.../index.htm 

KNM V5 also have a template system that can auto-configure discovered VMWare hosts, see attached screenshot for example of device setup by a template.

VMWare guests are monitored just like any other device.

• RA: Do you know if you can combine that specific data from KNM into a report part and put that part into a custom report?

• Sander: Yes, there will be more info on the extent of this later on.

• Those of us running on SAAS will this still require that we have KNM running somewhere? OR does intergrated mean that it will be housed in SAAS?

• @RA - I've got my 5.0 up and running and am using the LUA scripts to monitor some ESXi servers.  Firstly is there any other way than waiting on an email to know if the LUA scripts are running properly?  Secondly where can I find the template you have referenced above?  This looks like it would be perfect for my requirements but I can't see it anywhere on the system.  Am I missing something obvious or just not looking in the right place?

Thanks.

• @Alistair

>Firstly is there any other way than waiting on an email to know if the LUA scripts are running properly?  

if the monitor is in ok state, its running correctly, thats the visual part. For notification we have mail, you can also attach a GSM modem to the KNM host machine and send a text message with the SMS action. Lastly, if you set the installer in "utility" mode (under the option button) it will install KNM Gizmo, a system tray utility that will sound of a sound when any monitor turns into alarm state.

>This looks like it would be perfect for my requirements but I can't see it anywhere on the system.  Am I missing something obvious or just not looking in the right place?

1. Click "Add new device"
    2. Click "Empty device"
    3. Configure the device
    1. Enter a name and address to the device
    2. Set the correct operating system (Vmware ESXi)
    3. Click on the authentication tab and enter VMWare credentials (or if you already set the correct monitoring credentials higher up, use the inherit flag)
    4. Save the device
    What happens after you save the device is that KNM will apply an internal template (there is one per OS) to the device and add everything it discovery to the device, this process can take up to 5 minutes.
    Hope this helps,
  • Thanks RA - I've been feeling my way around the software but this has helped me take a huge leap forward.

I have been trying to use the online help.  When I search for vmware it returns 8 results but when you click on them the pages appear 'missing'.

Using this link - help.kaseya.com/.../index.htm