Kaseya Community

Monitor Sets and Policies

This question is answered

Morning,

We had an issue last weekend whereby one of our servers triggered a monitor set which had been applied to it by a policy. Now this usually wouldn't be a problem,  however this monitor set was a service check. It resulted in us returning to work on Monday morning with around 4,000 tickets in our AutoTask queue. This was due to the monitor set being triggered every 5 minutes and sending an email as configured.

I'm sure there's a way to create an agent procedure to restart these services upon failure, but I can't find a way to link a monitor set and an agent procedure together with my limited knowledge. Would some kind soul be able to help me in this? What we're aiming for is a monitor set which watches over a set of given services, when these services stop it then triggers a procedure to restart them. If this fails, it then raises an email as per normal.

Many thanks,

Martin Old

Verified Answer
  • Policy_Monitor_Alarm_script.JPG

Easiest way to do this is in policy management.

When you assign a monitor set, you can choose several options:

• Create alarm
    • Create ticket
    • Run script/procedure
    • Send e-mail
    Now you just assign the proper procedure to the monitoring set and you're done.
    Also if it is just about restarting services, you can set this in the monitor set itself.
    When you create a monitor set that checks services, you can set a restart and re-arm interval.
    Simply said: the restart will start the service x times when it is stopped, the re-arm will reset the restart rounter within y minutes.
    So restart is set to 5 and re-arm is set to 10 means that the monitoring set will start the service a maximum of 5 times within 10 minutes. Any more than that and the service will not be started anymore.
  • This is actually in the monitor set itself.  When adding the service there is a box called "Re-start attempts"

All Replies
  • Policy_Monitor_Alarm_script.JPG

Easiest way to do this is in policy management.

When you assign a monitor set, you can choose several options:

• Create alarm
    • Create ticket
    • Run script/procedure
    • Send e-mail
    Now you just assign the proper procedure to the monitoring set and you're done.
    Also if it is just about restarting services, you can set this in the monitor set itself.
    When you create a monitor set that checks services, you can set a restart and re-arm interval.
    Simply said: the restart will start the service x times when it is stopped, the re-arm will reset the restart rounter within y minutes.
    So restart is set to 5 and re-arm is set to 10 means that the monitoring set will start the service a maximum of 5 times within 10 minutes. Any more than that and the service will not be started anymore.
  • This is actually in the monitor set itself.  When adding the service there is a box called "Re-start attempts"

• So it is, i've even got it configured! I've rejigged the re-arm time to make it a bit less spammy in the future. Not sure why I didn't think of actually looking at the monitor set in the first place...