Kaseya Community

How to include performance object instance name in alarm message?

This question is not answered

Hi,

In the Format Email bit of Monitor\Assign Monitoring, can I include the performance object instance name in the message? I see tags to include the object and monitor set and etc but not the instance name itself.

For example, if I wanted to monitor some disk perf counter object on *ALL instances, how can I get the messages to include a line with C: (or D: or Z: or whatever) in the message, so I can tell which instance triggered the alarm?

Any tips would be much appreciated. Seems like there must be a way to do this but I'm not seeing it...

Thanks!

[edited by: Dave Durant at 11:32 AM (GMT -7) on 5-2-2012] edit: add description, which didn't show up on posting.. grr..
All Replies
  • When you create the monitor set you have the option to change the counter name in step 2.  Then when you format the email use the tag <ln> for the Monitoring log object name.  However, that doesn't help for all instances. You'd have to create a monitor set with all possible drives and give them each different counter names.  Sort of tedious but you only have to do it once.

• I can see the tedious-but-only-once stuff for things like disk volumes - you only have A: through Z: - but for monitoring something like, say, Process \ % Processor Time \ *ALL, having the instance name (ie: which process is causing trouble) would be really useful .

Is there really no way to get the instance? That'd be a bummer..

• As far as I know there isn't a way to get the trouble process from the native monitoring tools.  You can write a script to list the top processes and add it to the ticket in Service Desk if you use it.  

• > As far as I know there isn't a way to get the trouble process from the native monitoring tools

I'm fairly sure the *ALL thing is a Kaseya-only function - it's not part of the windows API. What's probably happening is that when the agent sees *ALL, it enumerates all the instances for the given category\counter then monitors each one. When any one of them does something interesting, the agent pokes the kaseya server saying that something happened.

So, I'm nearly positive that the agent itself knows the particular instance name on *ALL monitors. The question is whether it sends that back ot the server and if there's a way to get it out of the server. Sadly, I suspect the answer to at least one of those is 'no'.

> You can write a script to list the top processes

I'm working on a project to programmatically pull info out of service desk tickets and do some processing on them. What I'm really looking for here is a way to get the instance name in a generic way - not really trying to solve some specific problem related to disks or processes or anything in particular.