Kaseya Community

Need help with Log Parser Definitions for text file log

This question is answered

I have a log created by ninite tool which spits out 3 kinds of entries in a text log file shown below:

FileZilla : Not installed
Firefox : OK - 8.0
Flash : Update - 11.0.1.152 -> 11.1.102.55

I would like to parse the results for the third kind of entry from the txt file and would like some help with forming the syntax of the log parser definitions.

I downloaded the TestLogparserV2 and tried the following to extract the appname and versions using the syntax below but need direction on how to look for the third one Update one:

$AppName$: Update - $OldVersion% -> %NewVersion%

but it gives Error "Parameter is not defined" in the Test Log Parser.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

The only simple definition which seems to work is:

$App$ : $OldVersion$

Verified Answer
  • Sorry, Geeksikh. I don't believe you'll be able to accomplish what you want to do using the Log Parser. The Log Parser is one of those portions of the Core that could be a great tool if there was any work put into it. As it stands now, though, it's of only limited value. Mine also throws errors when I apply it but, after working with Kaseya Support, I was told that fixing the problem would require a "Feature Request". Not sure how you can turn a software bug into a "Feature Request" but there you go.

One reason the Log Parser is so limited in value is that the format of your log file must be fixed and unchanging for the Log Parser to function correctly. You can have values change but the Log Parser cannot deal with extra lines that may or may not be written to your log file. The Parser cannot deal with a log file format that changes from "11.0.1.152" -> "11.1.102.55" to "11.1.102.55" <- "11.0.1.152" for example. If one time your log has the following:

Flash (IE) : Update - 11.0.1.152 -> 11.1.102.55

Foxit Reader : Update - 5.0.2.718 -> 5.1.0.1021

and the next time it has:

Flash -- Update - 11.0.1.152 -> 11.1.102.55

Flash (IE) -- Update - 11.0.1.152 -> 11.1.102.55

Foxit Reader -- Update - 5.0.2.718 -> 5.1.0.1021

It will fail.

I use the Log Parser to read my MalwareBytes Scan Log files but it's of only limited usefulness. One of the lines, for example, in the log file looks like this:

Files Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Unfortunately, if there's one or more infected files detected and listed the Parser fails.

My suggestion is that as is often the case, you look outside of the Kaseya system for a solution to your needs. You should be able to create a vbscript to accurately and completely parse your log file and produce some useful results and it would probably take a lot less time than trying to get the Log Parser to actually parse your log file. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a "Kaseya Feature Request" to fix the bug...

All Replies
  • Geeksikh,

Can you post a screenshot of your log parser?

• Thanks for the reply. I am attaching  screenshot after I fixed a typo replacing % with $.

I am ok with doing 2 passes on the log file to extract the 2 kinds of data.

First kind :

Shockwave : OK - 11.6.3.633
    Silverlight : OK - 4.0.60831.0

Second kind I am after later (unless a single pass can extract 2 kinds of data) :

Chrome : OK - 15.0.874.120
    Firefox : OK - 8.0

• DUH Moment, The First kind of data I would like to extract:

• Anybody has idea on how to accomplish the updates available?

• Sorry, Geeksikh. I don't believe you'll be able to accomplish what you want to do using the Log Parser. The Log Parser is one of those portions of the Core that could be a great tool if there was any work put into it. As it stands now, though, it's of only limited value. Mine also throws errors when I apply it but, after working with Kaseya Support, I was told that fixing the problem would require a "Feature Request". Not sure how you can turn a software bug into a "Feature Request" but there you go.

One reason the Log Parser is so limited in value is that the format of your log file must be fixed and unchanging for the Log Parser to function correctly. You can have values change but the Log Parser cannot deal with extra lines that may or may not be written to your log file. The Parser cannot deal with a log file format that changes from "11.0.1.152" -> "11.1.102.55" to "11.1.102.55" <- "11.0.1.152" for example. If one time your log has the following:

and the next time it has:

Flash -- Update - 11.0.1.152 -> 11.1.102.55

Flash (IE) -- Update - 11.0.1.152 -> 11.1.102.55

Foxit Reader -- Update - 5.0.2.718 -> 5.1.0.1021

It will fail.

I use the Log Parser to read my MalwareBytes Scan Log files but it's of only limited usefulness. One of the lines, for example, in the log file looks like this:

Files Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Unfortunately, if there's one or more infected files detected and listed the Parser fails.

My suggestion is that as is often the case, you look outside of the Kaseya system for a solution to your needs. You should be able to create a vbscript to accurately and completely parse your log file and produce some useful results and it would probably take a lot less time than trying to get the Log Parser to actually parse your log file. Meanwhile, I'm waiting for a "Kaseya Feature Request" to fix the bug...

• THANKS Zippo for the reply and I hear you on the "This is a Feature" philosophy towards software. I will look elsewhere for those kinda solutions.