Kaseya Community

Agent status alert

This question is answered

We are just starting to evaluate Kaseya, and as such are still very much getting to grips with the product.

With our current monitoring software we have the ability to assign different alerting profiles to a device. As a basic example if a server goes down/offline between 08:00 and 18:00 email recipient A, if it’s between 18:00 and 08:00 email recipient B – which is our on call engineers.

Is there any way to match this functionality in Kaseya? Under Agent Monitoring > Alerts we can specify e-mail recipients but there are no options to build in any logic.

I’m guessing it more me not yet getting fully round to the Kaseya way of thinking rather than not possible to do…

Verified Answer
  • Sure you could, would involve some scripting time if you don't use want to use Service Desk but then again you would need to script it in Service Desk too. Smile

So instead of initiating a email notification with your Monitor set you want to execute an Agent Procedure/script. Now to deal with the time factor in the script, as Kaseya Agent Procedure don't really have any inbuilt time functionality (not to be confused with Service Desk procedures as they do) you would need to script the logic to make it work. One way is make your own VB script, the other is WMI Get Variable commands which allows you to make a pure Kaseya script. Below is a link to somebody I helped with the WMI Time variables and logic;

community.kaseya.com/.../52642.aspx

Hope this helps.

All Replies
  • bump...

• Unfortunately, no.

We create a distribution list in exchange to handle this and run commands through the scheduled tasks to add/remove people from the email list.

I wish Kaseya had the functionality you mentioned though.

• yeah no luck am afraid kaseya does not support it - we use mapi labs mail rules to control mail flow.

• You can do this when you leverage Service Desk.  It has the ability to build all that logic into your alerts.

• Sure you could, would involve some scripting time if you don't use want to use Service Desk but then again you would need to script it in Service Desk too. Smile

So instead of initiating a email notification with your Monitor set you want to execute an Agent Procedure/script. Now to deal with the time factor in the script, as Kaseya Agent Procedure don't really have any inbuilt time functionality (not to be confused with Service Desk procedures as they do) you would need to script the logic to make it work. One way is make your own VB script, the other is WMI Get Variable commands which allows you to make a pure Kaseya script. Below is a link to somebody I helped with the WMI Time variables and logic;

community.kaseya.com/.../52642.aspx

Hope this helps.

• Thanks for the replies - We are also looking at the service desk module so may be an option.

HardKnox - Cheers for the link, will give the scripting route a go.

• HardKnoX,

Those time scripts look sweet....but...I'm a bit confused how to go about scripting the rest of this functionality...if an agent is offline...you could not schedule a script on that machine...so I'm guessing you would schedule the script to execute on the KServer...but then how would you determine what agent went offline and caused the script to execute inside the script?

i would think that the logic would be something along these lines:

1. Determine the current time

2. Determine which agent caused the script execution

3. Determine type of event that caused the script to execute (going offline or got a critical event log message)

4. Determine which administrator would be in charge of this issue

5. Decide if we should send an email alert or take some other corrective action based on the previous 4 factors.

Maybe i'm reading too much into it...but this sounds pretty hard to do...but i'd love to get something like this working correctly....we want to be notified within a minute or 2 if a server goes down unexpectedly during business hours...but we do not need hundreds of alerts about  servers being offline during off-hours or maintenance periods when they are rebooting because they are installing updates.

• The easiest way I can think of would unfortunately require a script for each computer you wish to monitor, you could template it though so all you would need to do is add the machine and group ID's each time you copy the script so that you know which computer has gone offline. You would use the Agent Status Alerts to execute the script on your Kserver or another reliable server.

In the script you would have

• your machine and group ID's
    • your A and B emails
    • the time function
    • the If Then Else statement that will send the email to either A or B emails depending on the time

You could also build additional checks into it check if their internet connection is up by checking their sites External/Real World IP address and if it is up do some other checks as required This has a lot of potential but yes it would require a fair amount of initial setup work. You would need to do much of the same setup work if you decide to use Service Desk however some of it would be easier to do I suspect. At the end it all depends on if you have time and the resources to implement it Smile