Kaseya Community

Monitoring Sets - Best way of organising / Maintaining

This question is answered

Hi,

I am new to Kaseya, so hello everyone! 

I'm fine creating scripts and monitoring sets, so far... but I would appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction to organise and split them. Currently if I create a monitoring set to monitor say an Exchange 2003 service which is not present on a Exchange 2007 server or on a server with no Exchange present I get alerts, obviously.

So my plan was to create the following monitoring sets:

Windows Base Monitoring

Free Disk Monitoring

Performance Monitoring

Exchange 2003 Monitoring

Exchange 2007 Monitoring

Exchange 2010 Monitoring

SBS 2003 Monitoring

SBS 2008 Monitoring

Windows XP Monitoring

Windows Vista/7 Monitoring

and so on...

I've seen some people split it up granularly, Exchange 2003 Services Monitoring, Exchange 2003 Performance Monitoring, Exchange 2003 Error monitoring... etc etc...

What do you guys use and what is the best way to have a balance between accurate monitoring without having millions of monitoring sets? Also, I'm assuming I have to add these manually or create templates for SBS boxes, etc. I currently have two templates: Servers and Workstations?

Look forward to your advice... and once again Hello - and Happy New Year. 

Thank you in advance.

Verified Answer
  • I've got a server template that sets monitoring for each supported server (got one for workstations too), during the audit I'll discover the server role then apply any additional templates from there

All Replies
  • Thats about what I have, I also have monitor sets for basic server OSs (2003/2008 etc)

• What do you have in the Base Server monsets?

Very little changes between 2003, 2008 other than eventvwr monitoring. I just made a generic one called Windows Server Monitoring, but I'm worried it will not offer me the flexibility.

Do you also add monitoring sets individually to each machine/server you support?

• I've got a server template that sets monitoring for each supported server (got one for workstations too), during the audit I'll discover the server role then apply any additional templates from there

• Do you do it as a template or a monitoring set when drilling down a type of server?

• When Idiscover what the role of the server is i apply the needed templates. and adjust from there.