Kaseya Community

Ideas for Machine Filtering

• I would love to be able to filter by:

• Installed services (i.e. everything listed under services.msc)
    • Installed programs (i.e. everything listed under add/remove programs)

For installed services, we should be able to filter by many of the service attributes (e.g. display name, description, startup type, etc.). For installed programs, we should be able to filter by all the standard installer attributes (name, publisher, version, etc.)

Since these lists are much shorter than the list of "Installed Apps" (which is really just a list of every executable found on the system), they could presumably be updated much more often (e.g. hourly?) to give a more real-time view.

Jeff: These filters could be used to create those custom application categories on the left hand side of the mock-ups you showed this morning.

These filters would also be much more accurate than the current "Installed Apps" thing. The "Installed" part is really a misnomer, because the executables don't actually have to be "installed" via a Windows installer. They just have to be sitting on the server. So if you have a software repository on one of your file servers, the file server will appear to have all these applications installed when it really doesn't.

Legacy Forum Name: Ideas for Machine Filtering,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MikeConigliaro
  • I just wanted to elaborate on why this functionality is important.

Usually a customer will call with a really generic problem description like "I can't get into my email" or "I can't get into Citrix." Since the customer has no idea what server these services are running on, and a NOC supporting tens or hundreds of different networks is not going to remember what servers do what, it is very helpful to be able to drill down into a machine group and then choose a filter like "Exchange Servers" or "Citrix Servers." We have this working to a limited extent right now, but it does not work as well as it should due to the problems with "Installed Apps" listed above.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitoring,
    Legacy Posted By Username: MikeConigliaro
  • MikeConigliaro
    I would love to be able to filter by:

• Installed services (i.e. everything listed under services.msc)
    • Installed programs (i.e. everything listed under add/remove programs)

For installed services, we should be able to filter by many of the service attributes (e.g. display name, description, startup type, etc.). For installed programs, we should be able to filter by all the standard installer attributes (name, publisher, version, etc.)

Since these lists are much shorter than the list of "Installed Apps" (which is really just a list of every executable found on the system), they could presumably be updated much more often (e.g. hourly?) to give a more real-time view.

Jeff: These filters could be used to create those custom application categories on the left hand side of the mock-ups you showed this morning.

I agree with you, but if I could add a little to it: The device-centric view and the application/service-centric view in the mock-up are just two different ways of filtering the same underlying data. These views seem analagous to pivot-tables in Excel, and it occurs to me that the ability to define the x,y axes displayed beneath the folders might provide a very interesting solution to your filter request.

For example, in the mock-up we saw the top folder containing devices had devices as the y axis. The bottom folder had applications as the y axis. Your "service-centric" views could have services as the y-axis, with the devices they are running on as the x axis. The z axis (the actual cell contents) could contain the current running status, but it could contain configuration information like startup mode or service account name just as easily. This same paradigm should work for installed apps too.

I think this way of modeling the data on screen would provide almost limitless flexibility, allowing each user to tailor the views to his unique requirements.

Jim Lancaster
    Sagiss, LLC
    Dallas, TX

Legacy Forum Name: Monitoring,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jlancaster@sagiss.com