Kaseya Community

RUNDLL32.EXE Issue on Windows 2008

• No, no LAN Watch or any monitoring. It is just a VMWare GSX Host and nothing else.

• One of my collegue's came across this issue today.

The reason why there where some many, is because we are monitoring the free MB and %free of the logicaldisk *ALL

It seems Kaseya is monitoring all drive letters A-Z, which means there are over 50 counters running.

Anyone have a work around for this?

Thijs

•   I hit it too. We aren't doing much with Kaseya but this one SBS 2008 Server has 70 (yes a seven and a zero) rundll32 entries in Task Manager and on the same LAN I have noticed several Windows 7 Professional workstations with 10 rundll32 in Task Manager. It is the Kaseya Agent (9.2.0.0 is what I am running). I monitor several other networks and don't see a single rundll32 in the servers or the workstations. I opened a case on it today and support is clueless. Five years since the last post and Kaseya still doesn't have it fixed?

• No comments or input? Really? This is happening on several of my Windows 7 Professional workstations along with the 2008 server. I never really noticed it because I don't have a lot of need to look in Task Manager.  Check Task Manager on some workstations. I can't be the only one who is seeing this.

• Ziggy32, I just checked 20 computers, all were Windows 7 Pro's, in 5 different customer locations, 4 of those customers have domains with 2012 or 2008 servers and 1 customer with no server, of the 20 workstations only 1 station had a rundll32 entry in the task manager and it was a single entry.  Probably does not help one bit but figured I'd throw out what my systems show.  If you think its from possible monitoring sets you have implemented, pick a station with multiple entries and drop to a very basic monitor set or none at all, reboot and re-check the task manager.  Good luck.

• Ziggy32, for further reference I then checked into 6 2008 Servers, and found the following number of rundll32 in the task manager 16, 15, 6, 8, 14 and 9.  Now located next to the rundll32 you will see a column for a PID number.  If you switch to the services tab and find the corresponding PID you can then find the associated service.  Sadly in my case a matching PID number was not listed in the services tab.....

• Ziggy32, From CMD you can run the following command:

tasklist /m /fi “imagename eq rundll32.exe” (Note cut and paste sometimes fails, so I generally type it in)

It will list into the command prompt window the details of the associated services to the respective rundll32 and its specific PID number.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but hey, there you go!

• This will happen on all machines and is not considered a problem. 

For every running  counter in perfmon you'll get an associated Rundll32.exe

Kaseya does not directly create these rundll32's Perfmon does, But it's obviously true that if you don't have any monitoring assigned to the machine then  you wont have any perfcounters running and therefore these Rundll32.exe wont be running.

If you have many more perfmon counters and therefore Rundll32.exe's than the number of  counters you have assigned in  monitorlog you system is experiencing an issue that Kaseya Support can resolve. 

;
    [edited by: Michael Dixon at 7:40 PM (GMT -7) on Apr 12, 2016]
  • This will happen on all machines and is not considered a problem.

For every running  counter in perfmon you'll get an associated Rundll32.exe

Kaseya does not directly create these rundll32's Perfmon does, But it's obviously true that if you don't have any monitoring assigned to the machine then you wont have any perfcounters running and therefore these Rundll32.exe wont be running.

If you have many more perfmon counters and therefore Rundll32.exe's than the number of  counters you have assigned in  monitorlog you system is experiencing an issue that Kaseya Support can resolve.