Kaseya Community

SNMP device not found in scan

• I have configured a W2k3 system to do our SNMP queries, and when it does a scan it does not find a device that I am trying to setup monitoring for. The device has a network address on the same network, it has SNMP enabled, and I can manually do an SNMP walk on the device from my workstation and see SNMP data. I have already set up other SNMP devices on this same W2k3 system that it is currently monitoring, so I know that part is functioning properly.

Any ideas?

Legacy Forum Name: SNMP device not found in scan,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jwhitford
  • I have had this same problem but I do not have an answer. You do need to check that all the devices have the same community name.

Legacy Forum Name: Monitor/Event Sets/SNMP Sets,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jbucceri
  • I have found a solution to this issue. Aside from getting the correct MIB installed and added to an SNMP monitor set, you also have to make sure that you have the correct SNMP instance configured for each alert. Most of the time it is 0 or 1, but it could be literally ANYthing. I have seen instances as high as 1004 so far. To find the proper instance, you need to MIB walk the device with an SNMP application, look at the OID for the corresponding data and look at the end of the OID string.

For Example:
    OID string
    SNMP instance: 15

I would only add a custom snmp instance if the default of 0 does not return any data. Remember to give the system lots of time for the snmp data to go to your snmp-enabled agent, and then for the agent to forward it on to your kserver.

• Also been struggling with SNMP. Is a Kaseya SNMP"instance" equal to an SNMP "interface?" If so, I'm seeing inconsistencies between the MIB walker and Kaseya's SNMP.

Legacy Posted By Username: databalance
  • By "SNMP interface" do you mean the device interface? Such as, "does monitoring the uplink port 25 on a switch mean that the snmp instance is also 25?" I would say not necessarily to that. It depends on the vendor and how they set their OIDs. The MIB walk is the easiest way I have found so far to get the data I am seeking. Once you locate the exact OID, first try both 0 and 1 for the snmp instance. If that does not give data back, try the last number in the OID.

Remember, you must wait long enough for the period of the MIB or that you have set plus long enough for the Kaseya agent to check in for snmp data to start rolling in. If you had a MIB that reported the average cpu % in the last 10 minutes, you wouldn't expect to see snmp data in 5 minutes right?