Kaseya Community

Purchasing monitor sets from vendors

• Hello,

We wondered if outfits like MSP Assist and MSP Builder were worth it or if there are other monitor sets that can be purchased somewhere?

There is a it of a price difference between those two companies.  MSP Assist is lower priced but the website copyright date is 2013 so not sure if they are just selling old monitor sets or developing new current stuff?   

MSP Builder seems like it would be very cool but it's pricey.  The claim for both are great monitor sets (setup properly so less alerts etc) and good remediation built in.  I like the idea of purchasing well done monitor sets with proper remediation but it would almost seem better to directly pay an experienced VSA admin to make them for a one time charge than to pay monthly per agent?  Our services don't change all that much so it seems like paying monthly once they are all set and implemented could get both costly and annoying.  Of course it's a great business model for them lol.  

Anyone know if they are worth paying monthly?  Or if there are any experienced admins that would do a proper monitor and remediation setup for a fee (but not monthly recurring)?

• Hello!

If you PM me here or connect through the mspbuilder.com website I'd be happy to send you a list of MSPs that use the RMM Suite, ranging in size from <100 to >2500. You can get a real feel for the results that way without any "sales pressure" (even though we have no sales people, just engineers).

To be clear, we provide far more than monitors. :) We completely automate the VSA, reducing typical administration to just 10-15 minutes per week. The ROI with just a 10% time savings is anywhere from 7 man-hours to 5 man-days, depending on the number of techs and average salaries, and we've seen reductions in tech-time approach 45%. The value our customers get is extended by continuously improving the product, adding new features, and providing first-call support for your VSA (16-hours/day availability). This month alone, our customers benefitted from the introduction of fully automated Offline Domain Join, single-app onboarding that performs MSP and Customer-specific sequenced procedure execution, and a form of "Caller-ID 2FA" that helps prevent phone-based phishing attacks. These enhancements require anywhere from no action to simply enabling the feature via configuration settings.

Products aside, something to consider about monitor sets or other individual component sets (procedures, policies, views, etc.) is updating. If I provide a set of components and you download and import them, you then link your agents to them. Each VSA object has a unique internal ID number. You use these for a year and see that I've released a new set of updated components. Again, download, import - but wait! The old components are still there and being used because they're referenced by ID, and the new components have new, unique IDs. You have two choices - compare the old/new components and update the old ones with the new settings, or delete the old ones and update all of the agents to reference the new components. This isn't trivial but is an essential part of VSA maintenance. For security, VSA doesn't allow importing of components with an overwrite or replace method.

Glenn