Kaseya Community

[Linux] Ubuntu 10.0.4 server agent installs fail.

• We are getting a "file not found" and a swift exit of the installer on 5 Ubuntu 10.0.4 servers.

Is anyone else having these types issues?

Is there a list of dependices posts available to review the acutual requirments for a good install.

By the way worked great on our CentOS 5.4 systems.

• I am yet to upgrade but have 5+ Ubuntu servers to install so curious to know what happens.  I assume there's nothing on STDOUT.  What if you run it with strace, that should show you which file is missing

$ sudo strace ./KcsSetup.bin

It may depend on some X11 stuff not installed on a typical server?

[edited by: Simon Wong at 6:05 PM (GMT -7) on 9-23-2010]
  • Make sure you've checked the instructions here:

help.kaseya.com/.../index.htm

If you have, go ahead an raise a support ticket and be sure to update the thread with your progress.

• Looking at the files the .bin drops in /tmp it appears that the install is failing on extracting the tar.bz file. I can manually extract it but it extracts to /tmp which can't be correct. Does anyone know where the files are supposed to extract to? Can I create a folder /Kaseya and extract it all to there and then set agentmon as a service?

• Ok guys, here is the fix that corrected my issues with Ubuntu!!!

To start, ensure that you have libncurses5 and build-essential packages installed on this Ubuntu machine.

From there, if installation still fails with this, another essential item to look into is if your system is running a 32 or 64 bit kernel. If its a 64-bit kernel is being used, please try installing ia32-libs ("apt-get install ia32-libs"). We have seen cases in which a 64-bit kernel and could not run 32-bit apps until package was loaded.

• I got it running on Suse 11.3. Looks like there was an issue with the agent not supporting the double quotes "" for some of the switches. There's supposed to have been a hotfix released for it.

• > Looks like there was an issue with the agent not supporting the double quotes...

That was a bug which was fixed by hotfix 11072 on 9/28. If you re-download a Linux installer it should correctly handle double quotes and embedded spaces.

• > To start, ensure that you have libncurses5 and build-essential packages installed on this Ubuntu machine

Neither of these packages is required to run either the installer or any of the agent components.

> If its a 64-bit kernel is being used, please try installing ia32-libs ("apt-get install ia32-libs")

This is the critical step and (probably) why people are getting the "file not found" errors.

• Is there a list of needed dependencies for Linux kaseya agent? If there's a list it wouldn't be hard after to create an rpm or deb installer for the main distro's    

• > Is there a list of needed dependencies for Linux kaseya agent? If there's a list it wouldn't be hard

> after to create an rpm or deb installer for the main distro's

The intent (of the installer) was to automatically install all dependent packages (currently this is a

small list and doesn't have any controversial packages in it). We missed the ia32-libs dependency

because we didn't have any 64-bit Linux systems in-house and hadn't encountered this problem.

Future Linux installers will either list ia32-libs as a dependency or (more likely) the installer will be

a shell script with the real installer embedded and the shell part will install ia32-libs if needed. Our

intent is to not require users to have to install packages for the Linux agent to work.

• I've got ia32-libs installed, but I have an issue trying to install the agent as well.  Mine fails after/with the message "Warning: No groupId set by option. Asking user for Group ID."

I assume it should be requesting input at this stage, but it doesn't and simply exits.

Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, 64bit, 2.6.32-27-generic SMP

Any ideas?

• > because we didn't have any 64-bit Linux systems in-house

Funny, I only use 64 bit linux these days...predominantly on servers I guess