Kaseya Community

Issue installing MSI

This question is answered

So I've run into a problem that all of my normal solutions fail to resolve.  I've got a MSI to install with a simple ALLUSERS=1 /qn.  I can run it locally on a machine from the command line msiexec routeforms.msi ALLUSERS=1 /qn with no problem.  But when I try to run it through VSA it's failing.  Tried shell command (system in 64bit shell) in a procedure, tried a bat file that the shell command called and I even tried running it from the shell command in Live Connect and it fails to install for all users each time.  It's installing only for the user credentials of the admin.  I've tried editing the MSI in Super Orca but that doesn't work.

So I'm a bit mystified why locally running with command line works but a bat file or using the shell command function in a Procedure or in Live Connect fails.

Verified Answer
  • Hello Trevor,

One thing you could try is to add a step:

UseCredential

And then the very next step is to install it with a:

ExecuteShellCommand as USER.

See if that works out for you.

Alex

All Replies
  • Interesting. I have been having the same issue on 9.4. I have a ticket open on it. Are you running the files from the agent working directory or ?

• A temp directory in C:\temp.  I'm beginning to think it's something to do with the Agent running as SYSTEM as opposed to a user.  I may try throwing in some variables and have it execute as an AD admin if I can't get it to pull the saved credentials in Kaseya and see if that works.

• add the switch "/L c:\folder\log.txt" to keep the logs to find out what error is causing the msi to not install.

also, you could try putting  "cmd /c installer.bat"  in the procedure instead of just entering the direct command. With some things, Windows "doesn't support redirection" (I get that a lot in a psexec remote cmd) and a lot of times, using "cmd /c" tricks it.

• I totally forgot about the logging!  I did it yesterday trying something else.  I may have fixed the problem by using the impersonate user command and enter the credentials for an admin and use the command line msiexec /i msifile.msi ALLUSERS=1 /qn and it worked.  

Made corrections
    [edited by: trevor.okazaki at 3:24 PM (GMT -7) on Mar 11, 2020]
  • I wonder if you manually specify a temp path in your batch file, that all users on the PC have access to, it might work. (c:\windows\temp is UAC controlled by default)

add "TARGETDIR=c:\temp" (or whatever folder) to your msiexec string and see if that helps.

• Hello Trevor,

One thing you could try is to add a step:

UseCredential

And then the very next step is to install it with a:

ExecuteShellCommand as USER.

See if that works out for you.

Alex

• Are you using a MSI wrapper?

• This is what I ended up doing.

• Thanks for the solution, I was stuck in the user criteria in the msi package. But, I solved the problem using an MSI wrapper.