Kaseya Community

Duplicate agents

• Hi Guys,

Got an interesting situation here.  We have some clients that have Deep Freeze installed on their lab machines.  It appears  that each time the machine is rebooted it generates a desktop-lab1-1, 1-2, etc.  Haven't thawed a machine to test yet, but if I delete the agent on the "ghost" machine, it does re-create another ghost agent.

Anybody else seen this behavior?

Thanks

Ira

• Yes, this situation is known.

If the Agent is installed and unable to communicate with the VSA before being frozen, each time an instance boots, it will create the Agent in the VSA as a new ID with the old orphaned to be offline, never seen again.  Similarly, if the image is such that it deploys the Agent with each reboot, the same behaviour will present.

If the instance is persistent, installed and allowed to checkin before being frozen, each time it reboots the agent should check in with the correct Agent GUID and work as expected.

We see the same behaviour in VDI environment.  In non-persistent VDI deployments, you can try using the /v switch when installing.  

From our Help;

/v - Associates this agent with an existing agent account in the VSA when the machine name, agent name and organization are the same for the same partition. Ignores creating a new agent account when a new MAC address is detected. Suitable for re-using existing agent accounts created for reverted VDI resources.

So the answer in your case is... reboot to get to the start state, thaw the machine, fully install the agent and allow it to checkin, create its guid and update its KaseyaD.ini file, then refreeze.  

Freezing can be controlled through CMD line, so many customers will with pre and post procedures to thaw and freeze for things like software deployment and patch management.  The important thing to remember is the make sure your in a fresh state so you aren't freezing user changes.

Make sense?

Let me know if this helps.

Kirk...

• Hi Kirk,

Not only does this make sense, but confirmed my suspicion.  Also, good tip about the VDI's.  

Appreciate the response

Ira