Kaseya Community

VSA - Agent - Installing on Citrix Gold Images

This question is answered

Has anyone had any joy installing the VSA agent on a Gold Image?

I am using Machine Creation Services (MCS) pushing out 20 servers against a master Server 2016 Image.

I have set up a RunOnce entry in the registry but the problem I am experiencing is that dialog box (from Windows) with the title Always Ask Before Opening This File keeps coming up.

I have tried the /S switch with no joy.

Any comments would be welcome.

Verified Answer
  • How to install Kaseya VSA agent on a gold image.txt

I have got this working now.

Looks like any switches applied when building a Agent install package is ignored.

I have attached a guide on how I did this.

Might be useful for others, hopefully.

MIssing attachment.
    [edited by: Chris Y at 6:21 AM (GMT -7) on Apr 1, 2019]
All Replies
  • My guess is that it's the built in windows protection that "blocks" files downloaded from the internet.  Try running the Unblock-File powershell cmdlet against it, or right click and go to properties and look for the "Unblock" checkbox at the bottom of the General tab.

• Sounds like UAC is blocking the installation from being started.

• How to install Kaseya VSA agent on a gold image.txt

I have got this working now.

Looks like any switches applied when building a Agent install package is ignored.

I have attached a guide on how I did this.

Might be useful for others, hopefully.

MIssing attachment.
    [edited by: Chris Y at 6:21 AM (GMT -7) on Apr 1, 2019]
  • We do it all the time - but we don't install the agent on the fly when the machine boots.

It works better if you install the agent on the GI pointing to a network share or (persistent) D: drive. Randomize the GI's Registry - and then copy the program files (changing the ini) to either that network share or the D: (persistent) drive of each machine. When the VDA workers boot, they get the randomized registry, and look for the program files on D: or the network share. Read from the INI and then overwrite the blank registry.

We have the persistent D: drive install down solidly, we are still tweaking the network drive install.

• When I create a golden image I have a .cmd that runs after sysprep in the run once to rebuild the start menu, taskbar, change to a custom power option build and then install the Kaseya agent. Below is the Kaseya part I use in my script.

REM  \**********  Kaseya Installation  ************/

echo Installing Kaseya - Please wait...

"C:\Kaseya.exe" /s /q && del C:\Kaseya.exe

This way it deletes the installer after it runs.

Justin

• Really appreciate all the responses and the different take on the Agent build methods.

• Yes, its just a shame we have to go through all these work arounds. Every other tool we use supports provisioning/MCS natively and doesn't require any special install methods...