Kaseya Community

What options in policy will make the "restart requires" notification and "Reboot Now" button appear in Patch Management/Patch Status?

This question is not answered

I've been told by our VSA, their consultant and one Kaseya support person that when the "Patch Reboot Action" in Policy Management is set to "If user logged in ask to reboot every X minutes", and a reboot is required and has not been done yet, that you will see, under Patch Management, Patch Status the "Reboot Required" note along with the "Reboot Now" button.

I've just been told by a different Kaseya support person that this is not true and the ONLY time you will see these things there is when the "Do not reboot after update" option is selected.

I know this is NOT true as we've never selected that option and I see "Reboot Requires along with the "Reboot Now" button on many client's after patches have been pushed.  The problem is I don't get the note and button on some clients that do require a reboot.  It seems random.  Sometimes we see this and sometimes we don't.

Does anyone know what triggers the "Reboot Now" button to appear?

All Replies
  • Our policy here is set to "If user logged in ask permission. Do nothing if no response in X minutes. Reboot if user not logged in."  and I see the notification of Reboot Pending in Patch Status so I'd say the first answer is correct.

As for what triggers the reboot I believe it's up to the patch if a reboot is explicitly required.  And since not every patch is necessary on every machine that could explain why some machines require a reboot while others don't.  Could be an instance where the patch requiring the reboot was needed on one but not the other.

• and - That matches with our experience as well. You expect patching to be exactly the same on all machines, but that's certainly not true Let me add some insight to this as well.

We used to ask the user for a reboot (if needed) after patching. That option had the unwanted effect that users equated patch management with problems. They were interrupted in their work and saw the reboot as the cause of all kinds of problems. It gave them a scapegoat, as you will, for all issues they faced.

Since we don't require the reboot anymore and don't notify the users, the number of complaints about patch management has gone done drastically. I know Microsoft is doing a lot of work to lessen the impact and the need for reboots. But we've been doing this now for 2 or 3 years and then patching was still a big issue, but for us this has been a big improvement to not require or notify for a reboot...