Kaseya Community

Edit hosts file on a mac

• Does anyone know how to edit the hosts file on a mac with an agent procedure? PC is easy but the mac is killing me.

Thanks.

• Additions or removals should be fairly easy with a shell script - echo "new stuff" >> /etc/hosts to add, or 

cat /etc/hosts | grep -v "what to remove" > /tmp/hosts 
    mv /tmp/hosts /etc/hosts to remove a line. If you want to inline edit multiple lines, look for examples using "sed" - the stream editor.

Create and test the script on the mac, then upload it to VSA. Use VSA to push the script down and then execute it. I would not try to do this directly with procedure commands.

Glenn

• Glen,

Thanks for the info. it sounds like I have to write one line at a time. I have about 15549 entries to add so is there an easy way to just replace the hosts file on a mac?

• Sure - just push the replacement file from the VSA. Sounds odd that you'd have that many entries in a Hosts file, though. What are you trying to do?

Replacing the file outright can have issues if the local hosts file had been customized.

Glenn

• Glenn,

The hosts file hasn't been customized yet.

When I find nafarious websites I tend to block them via the hosts file. It is quick and very easy to do on a windowns machine.

Just pushing is what I am trying to do. Alas I am not sure of the commands.

Thanks for trying to help.

• For simple adds like that, the first example I posted should do the job.

Glenn