Kaseya Community

Patch Status Missing on some Servers

This question is answered

I have a few servers that are not reporting any patch status just dashes. I have done the usual things like rename the software distribution folder and run an audit and patch scan. Any other ideas out there to get them to report?

Thanks,
Forest

Verified Answer
  • I had a similar issue with workstations and worked with Kaseya Support. What worked for us was to install patch KB3138612 on the device, reboot and rescan. After that, I saw the Installed, Missing and Denied Patches for the devices.

All Replies
  • You could also try setting the winhttp proxy:

netsh winhttp reset proxy

• I had a similar issue with workstations and worked with Kaseya Support. What worked for us was to install patch KB3138612 on the device, reboot and rescan. After that, I saw the Installed, Missing and Denied Patches for the devices.

• - Your patch is for windows 7 machines, but there we haven't seen this issue. We do see this issue on Windows 10 and 2016. It's not always, and seems entirely random. We can add 2 machines to Patch Management that should be identical and still one works fine and the other doesn't give results in Patch Status.

The new Software Management module (for 9.4 and 9.5) doesn't have this issue, at least not for our own machines we're testing this on now.

Kaseya has acknowledged issues with Patch Management they need to address with Microsoft, but it seems they have been unable to reach a point where results are reliable, at least not in Patch Management. To us Software Management is the way to go, although we do see the product isn't quite finished and needs some work.

• Billmccl's suggestion is a good one. It's worth checking Windows Update manually on the endpoint; if you get the notification that Windows Update needs to be updated first then KB3138612 is the fix. Otherwise, you should at least get an error code that should allow you to track the cause.

• Thanks for all the suggestions. I have installed KB4057142 on the Windows 2016 Server that was a problem and it reported. I had to do this manually from the Windows Update catalog.  I also did a Windows Update Repair inside of control panel troubleshooting. Somehow Kaysea uses the Windows Update client and it seems if there are any issues with patch downloads it stalls out and will not report status.

• We are seeing lots of machines now (Win10, server 2016) not accurately reporting status. We moved a client onto software management and found one agent had 57 updates missing - patch management called it perfect.

I have a gut feel that win10 1709 build may be the issue - but haven't had time to confirm as yet.

• Check out what Kaseya Online Doc's say re Win 10

help.kaseya.com/.../index.asp

• It's worth noting we have a ticket open for this issue. In testing we found for Windows 2016 servers it seems you need to run a local Windows Update at least once, before Patch Management is able to scan for patches. So, it seems some file or folder isn't available for Kaseya if Windows Update hasn't initialized it...

Another point for Win 7 or 8.1 is the fact the Windows Update agent needs to be updated to a recent version, before it can succesfully scan for patches...

We're still filling in the details for about 35 machines that have this issue. Maybe these hints help you somewhat...

• Has there been any traction or update on this? Still seems to be an issue even on the latest VSA.