Kaseya Community

Windows Thin Clients.

• I'm curious if anyone other than us is deploying Kaseya agents on Windows Thin clients?

I know it's somewhat of a pain to do in general because of the write filter on windows embedded, but we have several customers that do *everything* inside of a Xenapp or Terminal Server environment and so all that they *have* at the desktop level is windows embedded thin-clients.  We put the Kaseya agent on them primarily so we can use it to remote control the endpoints, and do thing such as upgrade the Citrix receiver, change monitor resolution, etc. remotely. 

Overall it's always been great.  However we're finding that due to the large size of the new kaseya agent installer in 9.3 we're having to leave a lot of them at 9.2 and in some cases we're even having to keep an old 9.2 installer lying around just to have for installation on new installs of the thin clients.  Wondering if we're the only ones in this scenario, and if not what others are doing.

• we have some agents on :

Manufacturer:

Hewlett-Packard

Product Name

HP t520 Flexible Series TC

• We have three customers with thin clients, totaling about 145 agents in all. Most (132) are at one customer that leverages RDS heavily. Many of their PCs have even been taken off the domain, had all apps removed, and then configured to auto-logon with just the RDS shortcut on the desktop.

We're still at 9.2 in prod so haven't run into any capacity issues yet - this is something we'll need to review in a few weeks when we upgrade.

Maintaining the thin clients is a challenge, but we have 2 procedures that we use - one to disable the write filter and reboot, and another that does updates and reboots, which then invokes the procedure to enable the write filter and reboot. We run "TC Procedure 1", then do all our updates, then run "TC Procedure 2" to button things back up. Like you, we use the agent on thin clients mostly for remote control, but we do deploy our support and maintenance tools as well. I just pushed updated tools out to the thin clients last week. We do that twice a year for these, compared to weekly for most other agents.

The procedures to automate the disable/enable of the write filter are pretty helpful.

Glenn

• Hi Glenn,

Do you have the procedure to disable and enable the write filter?

Thanks!!!!

• Hi Glenn,

Do you have the procedure to disable and enable the write filter?

Thanks!!!!

• hfeenstra.. In my experience it all depends on the exact model and make of the terminals, there are a couple of different commands related to this, and which one you have to use varies.

ON the older terminals there was a command wtflush that could be used to commit changes.  Then in a newer release there was a new one called EWFMGR that you could use.  On the absolute newest ones we've been deploying, they've(HP) removed ewfmgr and I haven't quite figured out the "new" way to accomplish this same task.

• Thanks. I'll try the ewfmgr -Commit. Maybe it wil work. If it doesn't work i'll try to figure out what will work ;)

• Just a note from my experience.... You should reboot the thin client first.  Then make whatever changes you want to commit and *then* do the ewfmgr -commit..

Otherwise you can end up committing changes that you didn't intend to do that the end user had done, as the commit basically commits *everything* since the last reboot.