Kaseya Community

Unable to use RDP for a remote control session

• I have one machine in the office which is unable to establish a remote control session with the Terminal Server (RDP) client to any of our servers w/Kaseya. VNC works fine, but with Terminal Server the ActiveX script simply starts up Remote Desktop Connection and prompts for a hostname.

It appears that the secure tunnel is not getting established which would explain the hostname prompt. When I run netstat from the command prompt, I see that there is no 9100 port connection to 127.0.0.1 mapped.

I should mention that this client is using a 64-bit version of Vista, which is the only one in the office. I don't know if this is a factor at all. The computer has the windows firewall disabled, and the RDP client version is 6.0.6000. I should also mention that it does not have the Kaseya agent on it.

Are there any logs I can check to see what's failing, either on the host being connected to or the event viewer on the client?

Thanks

Legacy Forum Name: Unable to use RDP for a remote control session,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jregan
  • Hi jregan,

If you run a script log (Reports -> Logs, select "Script Log" from Choose a log to display) against the host server (that you're trying to connect to) and the PC in question, do you see any failure messages?

AR

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: arobar
  • Just checked again and the script status is a success on both mstscRun and mstscService

• We ran across this issue in the past as well. Here is a Kaseya support responsefrom our records:

Mstsc.exe doesn’t take command line parameters at all if it is invoked by an application in the current version of Vista x64. I have tried just simply shell opening a RDP file, and it still didn’t work. It seems to be a bug in Vista x64. I have tested the remote control from a Server 2008 Beta 1 and it works fine. Then I copied both 32-bit and 64-bit mstsc.exe files from Server 2008 to the Vista x64 box, and it just works fine.

-Ed

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • Hi Ed,

Thanks much for the response. I didn't even think to test it from the command line. I'm sure this is the case.

-John