Kaseya Community

Logged into computer remotely - does not show up under Current User

• I've got a problem which I think started occurring after the 4.8.1 update (or subsequent hotfixes). When logged into a computer remotely using Remote Desktop - either on the network or through RWW - I don't see the Kaseya icon in the task tray of the remote computer, and the logged in user does not show up in the Current User column on the Agent tab in Kaseya. I'm quite sure that in the past, the Current User always showed up whether a user was sitting at the computer or working remotely.

This kind of sucks when I'm doing maintenance/software install at night, and I can't see if a user is logged in from home.

Anyway, my question is if others are seeing this isssue, or if it's just a problem in my environment? Thanks.

Legacy Forum Name: Logged into computer remotely - does not show up under Current User,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ChrisRowland
  • We see see the same issue.

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: rkniffin
  • For what it's worth, I have also seen situations where the agent shows no current user is logged in, but I have the person on the phone telling me they are logged in. I have connected to their computer just fine tohelp them in Windows and it will still show them as not logged in.

If I remember correctly,the user has toshut down the computer to resolve it, a restartor log off will not work. It's been awhile though, so I might have that wrong. I can promise a log off did not work for me, ever.

Unfortunately, I was not paying enough attention to notice if this came after a certain hotfix or update. I'm not sure about the other situation either, where a remote user connects to login and that information is not displayed correctly.

Legacy Posted By Username: rogers
  • The default behavior is to support the Agent helper, the component that works on behalf of the currently logged in user, only on the console session. The predominant reason for this being the default is that interaction with a user, such as reboot dialogs after patching, should go to the console user rather than a remote user.

Having said that, there is still a contingent with valid reasons who wants the behavior where the Agent helper runs on the remote session. The Agent helper may be set to run in this manner for RDP sessions by changing a registry value on the terminal server machine. Set the registry value

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Kaseya Agent Service Helper

to

"C:\Program Files\Kaseya\Agent\KaUsrTsk.exe" -remote

You can import the following two scripts and then schedule "Enable Agent Helper for RDP1 of 2"to run on the Agent on your terminal server to change this registry value:

------------------------------- SCRIPT #1: ---------------------------------------

Script Name: Enable Agent Helper for RDP 1 of 2
    Script Description:

IF Check Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Kaseya Agent Service Helper
    Exists :
    THEN
    Get Variable
    Parameter 1 : 0
    Parameter 2 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Kaseya Agent Service Helper
    Parameter 3 : runKaUsrTsk
    OS Type : 0
    Execute Script
    Parameter 1 : Enable Agent Helper for RDP 2 of 2 (NOTE: Script reference is NOT imported. Correct manually in script editor.
    Parameter 2 :
    Parameter 3 : 0
    ELSE

------------------------------- END SCRIPT #1: ---------------------------------------

------------------------------- SCRIPT #2: ---------------------------------------

Script Name: Enable Agent Helper for RDP 2 of 2
    Script Description:

IF Check Variable
    Parameter 1 : #runKaUsrTsk#
    Not Contains :-remote
    THEN
    Set Registry Value
    Parameter 1 : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Kaseya Agent Service Helper
    Parameter 2 : "#runKaUsrTsk#" -remote
    Parameter 3 : REG_SZ
    ELSE

------------------------------- END SCRIPT #2: ---------------------------------------

Note that after importing the scripts, you must edit the script "Enable Agent Helper for RDP1 of 2" to make step 2 call "Enable Agent Helper for RDP 2 of 2".

This change takes effect for new user (RDP or console)logins _after_ the console user, if there is one prior to this change,has logged off. If there are multiple users logged in, then the first one is reported as the currently logged in user. If that user logs off, then another is selected as the currently logged in user.

To restore the default behavior, force an agent update using the Agent tab -> Update Agent function.

Legacy Posted By Username: PWong
  • rogers wrote:
    For what it's worth, I have also seen situations where the agent shows no current user is logged in, but I have the person on the phone telling me they are logged in. I have connected to their computer just fine tohelp them in Windows and it will still show them as not logged in.

If I remember correctly,the user has toshut down the computer to resolve it, a restartor log off will not work.

It is possible for this to occur during the initial installation via LAN Watch. Using the RPC service to deploy the Agent installation over the LAN, the "admin" user account used for installation may be holding on to the KaUsrTsk application even after the install completes. In that case, a reboot is required to close that session out in order for KaUsrTsk to begin functioning correctly for normal users.

• The Kaseya system tray icon has not shown up in the tray for the two years that we have been using Kaseya when using RDP. If you vnc in, you will see and I beleive that you rdp /console you will see it. The icon is only visible in the console.

hc

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • In my situation, I'm connecting via Remote Desktop to a Windows XP computer on the network (or through Remote Web Workplace), so I'm always connecting to the console session. The Kaseya icon does not show up in the system tray - I can't say that I remember it ever being in the tray before, didn't pay attention. I just mentioned the icon in case that was a symptom (or cause of the problem). But I know that previous to some update and/or change, that an XP RDP session would show up in the Current User column. Now, it does not, at least in my situation.

Actually, as I'm writing this, I just connected via RDP (console session)to an SBSserveron whichI haven't updated the agent yet - still 4.7.0.0. The Kaseya icon shows up in the system tray and the user shows up as a Current User. So my answer is the 4.8.0.0 agent - I was slow to update to 4.8, now 4.8.1, which is why I didn't notice this issue until recently.

New question - should I be having this issue (no Current User) when connecting via RDP to a Windows XP system, or do I need to run the scripts below which seem to apply more to an actual Terminal Server? Thanks for the replies.

• howardc wrote:
    The Kaseya system tray icon has not shown up in the tray for the two years that we have been using Kaseya when using RDP. If you vnc in, you will see and I beleive that you rdp /console you will see it. The icon is only visible in the console.

hc

Using the scripts as detailed below will allow the v4.8.x Agent icon to appear in the system tray of an RDP client session.

• ChrisRowland wrote:
    New question - should I be having this issue (no Current User) when connecting via RDP to a Windows XP system, or do I need to run the scripts below which seem to apply more to an actual Terminal Server? Thanks for the replies.

Thanks, Chris, for clarifying the use of an Agent version v4.7.0.0 in your case on your SBS server. Thedefault behavior as described was put in place in v4.8.0.0, so that matches my expectations.

As for your new question, applying the scripts as described below will also allow KaUsrTsk to interact with the desktop (i.e agent icon and current user info) in an RDP session to an XP box just like it does for an 2000 or 2003 terminal server.

• PWong wrote:

It is possible for this to occur during the initial installation via LAN Watch. Using the RPC service to deploy the Agent installation over the LAN, the "admin" user account used for installation may be holding on to the KaUsrTsk application even after the install completes. In that case, a reboot is required to close that session out in order for KaUsrTsk to begin functioning correctly for normal users.

The situations I described were with agents that had been installed over a year ago. I understand what you are explaining though, and definitely appreciate the response. Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: rogers
  • PWong wrote:
    ChrisRowland wrote:

Thanks, Chris, for clarifying the use of an Agent version v4.7.0.0 in your case on your SBS server. Thedefault behavior as described was put in place in v4.8.0.0, so that matches my expectations.

As for your new question, applying the scripts as described below will also allow KaUsrTsk to interact with the desktop (i.e agent icon and current user info) in an RDP session to an XP box just like it does for an 2000 or 2003 terminal server.

Thank you for your help - I'll run the scripts you provided. Thanks again.

• Thanks for the scripts and the information. I've tested them and they work great. Actually, we will probably use this as a standard for our client roll-outs.

The only thing I would like to see is that the agent would identify a console user before a remote user and maybe even show (R) for Remote or (C) for Console next to the logged on user name on the Agent tab view. Using this command will show the remote user logged in, but if a user then connects to the console, it will still show the remote user as the current logged in user.

Thanks,

Greg

Legacy Posted By Username: gssloan
  • reviewed 12/1/07

Legacy Posted By Username: lfacey