Kaseya Community

Report to filter machines based on services

• I want to run a report to filter machine with specific services.

Any help is appreciated.

• How Kaseya views can be created to filter agent per services?

Hopefully someone can answer this.

• You can't directly create a view based on installed windows services. If you install the 'standard solution pack' you get some predefined views called roles that are based on the idea of "agent labels" that may suit your needs e.g.

See community.kaseya.com/.../17423.aspx and community.kaseya.com/.../86369.aspx for other ideas as to how to approach the issue.

note: the idea of agent labels hasn't been touched since VSA 6.3, so it doesn't look like you should rely heavily on this in the future.....

• If this is a one time request, I would create a custom field and execute an AP that will detect that one service and insert a boolean into the field.

Then you can pull the view based on the results of that custom field.

All of this would be temporary, unless this is something you will repeat over time. You can simply delete the custom field later.

Craig's idea would work the same, however I have not experimented with modifying agent labels from APs. But if it can be accessed then either method will work.

• Thanks Craig and Thanks Flavio for your input. I went through the article posted above. It is filter view based on installed application. I am looking for some views where I can filter agent based on running services.

I will quote an example; I have created a View named "Quickbook Server" by using application filter (QBCFMonitorService.exe) which lists all quick book servers. The next step is that I want to apply service monitors to quickbook database service for these servers. Every quickbook version has different QuickBookDB service e.g. quickbookdb20, quickbook21, quickbook22, .. and so on. Until I have separate views based on database services I will have to go to all 100s of servers manually to find out database and assigned service monitors. I tried to filter using qb application version but found that in most of the cases same qb application version has different quickbookdb service.

I am looking for an option to create Kaseya views baseded on quickbookdb20, quickbookdb21  ...etc. services but there is no ways I am finding. May be Kaseya can add this in next release.

Can you please try to suggest way as per that, else I have not other option to do it manually.

Thanks

Rajeev

[edited by: Rajeev Sharma at 5:12 AM (GMT -7) on Oct 30, 2014]
  • IdentifyServices.docx

This may help you -

Please see the attached document that has screenshots of 2 Agent Procedures and a sample View.

• That is a smart way to handle this Byo. I will certainly give it a try. And thanks a lot for sharing.

Can you please share the procedure if you can. Sorry if am sounding too demanding.

:) :)

• Procedure Folder zz-Services.xml

Hi Rajeev,

I've attached an export of a folder with the APs.

Cheers.

• That was awesome and so easy to use!!!

Thank you so much.

• thanks so much for that trick!

I also added registry checks in your second procedure for some "server roles" that don't specificly has a service running, ie. Network Load Balancing.

Cheers!

• We have a "Daily Audit" application that's part of our Core Automation suite that detects over 130 system Roles, Features, Services, and Applications and identifies them generically (SQL or EXC) and version-specifically (SQL12, EX16). We use these detected roles to apply monitors automatically (unless an override exists) and to perform product/version specific maintenance tasks on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. This is limited to detecting applications and app-versions that require specific monitoring or maintenance tasks, but could easily be extended to identify any or all apps.

Adding a new service or application detection is nothing more than updating the config file to define the detection and assign an ID. Creating a new auto-apply monitor and detection takes about 5 minutes to configure. The audit collects on average between 150 and 200 data points and writes about 3 dozen of those to custom fields, completing in about 6 seconds per agent.

The great part about this kind of automation is that with daily detection and automatic deployment of monitors and maintenance, the amount of hands-on administration of VSA becomes minimal. With 3100 managed endpoints I typically spend less than 15 minutes a week managing my VSA.

Glenn