Kaseya Community

Renaming Agent - Problems

• Users often change and for the sake of sanity, Kaseya machine names are usually based on the user of the system. So when a user changes, the machine gets renamed.

Doing it seems to cause all sorts of problems lately, though (problems that I don't remember with earlier versions before 4.8). For one thing, a rename takes a VERY long time - like perhaps 10-20 minutes to complete. It seems that it creates a new machine ID, transfers some stuff from the old ID to the new (during which time both show as offline), reports that the new ID just checked in for the first time, and then finally removes the old one. And yes, this is using the "rename when checking in" and not the "rename immediately" option.

Worse, most scheduled items simply no longer exist. For instance, any scheduled scripts are just gone. That includes scheduled patch scans, maintenance scripts, etc. And any monitor alerts setup are also just gone. PITA having to completely recreate the configuration for a machine simply because it has been renamed.

Legacy Forum Name: Renaming Agent - Problems,
    Legacy Posted By Username: warever
  • How many agents do you have? How heavily do you rely on the alerting mechanism?

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bpenland
  • this is a bug which I believe has been corrected, check in with support@kaseya.com to see if this is the case.

As kaseya will always show the currently logged in user and last logged in user on the agent status page I always recommend during Kaseya training sessions that you configure the agents to be based on machine name rather than user name.

If you need to find a machine based on user name go to Agent->Agent Status and hit the 'search' button. as long as you have user name and last logged in user in your columns then you can search on those fields for the username - easy! Smile

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • We use generic names for our managed PCs
    Each client gets a 5-digit client code (i.e. Dental Associates would be DENTA)
    We then names machines as such: DENTA-O-0005
    (The -O- denotes machine use. O=Office, M=Mobile, H=Home, etc)

We then use the Client Name field to enter the name of the current user. A change takes a couple seconds.

I know there are limitations with that, since you do not see that field when under any tab but the Agent tab... So I find myself jumping back and forth more than I'd like, but overall, it seems to be the easiest way to keep up with the changing users.

Legacy Posted By Username: byulke
  • I found out it was a bug after several days of several e-mails back and forth with support. There seems to be a LOT of bugs these days with 4.8 and even more with KES.

My end users typically say "Emily's machine has a problem" and I may very well not have a real clue which machine is Emily's. Trying to go back and forth between screens makes things really tough. And checking a last logged in user often doesn't help because several clients tend to use generic users - or use whatever user first logged in that morning.

Some clients actually move machines around as well. I couldn't know who the machine is for or where it is located unless that information is part of the name (and yeah, it could go in notes but then I've have to start hunting for machines which is time consuming - and the whole IDEA of managed services it to reduce the amount of time I have to spend.

But the naming scheme depends on the client. Some are quite small and systems don't move around much - and often, users there do (or share machines). So in those cases, machines are usually named based on WHERE they are.

One particular large client uses names that are based on a combination of location and user. Some machines there are generic and in a pool (a workroom, for instance, with multiple machines that everyone shares) and those are named strictly by the location name. Others might be in a row of cubicles and are named by the specific user as well as the cubicle area ("NCubicle-MSmith" for North Side Cubicles, Mary Smith's computer).

In order to keep track, I pretty much have to rename as the users change and the machines move - because NEITHER is fixed and putting a "Machine 001" name on it would make it COMPLETELY unrelated to anything and difficult to find.

• Another method we employ is asset tagging... We have blue stickers that say "Managed by Streeter Technologies, Inc. 13024" and we enter that info into the Asset tag field of the BIOS. Where that is not possible (most non-business class PCs won't have that field) we enter it manually into the System Info. So when we are unsure of a PC (we do have aseveral "spare" and "guest" PCs at clients) we just ask them for the asset tag. Before we got the stickers, we just used a label maker and stuck the labels on the machines.

Renaming PCs on a regular basis seems too time consuming, especially when running into problems like the bug in K that causes it to take 20minutes to rename the agent. We make sure our asset tags are right up front, so it's easy for the user to find.

Legacy Posted By Username: byulke
  • We use stickers and place generic names on pc's as well, then just ask the user for the computer name when there is a question of which one it is ... we just tell them to look for the white sticker on top that tells them what it's name is! Works very well for us ...

Legacy Posted By Username: tom@tbkconsulting.biz
  • I've tried using stickers (the nice Brother P-Touch ones) on the machines with the machine names. For some odd reason, people keep pulling them off. No explanation why; they just do.

I've also got IP's on most machines. Works, but it is a pain to have to look it up in the report - especially on a site with over 100 machines.

Hmmm... changing how to best and easily do something because Kaseya keeps having bugs... Why don't they just FIX the damn bugs?

Sad... when I first got Kaseya a couple of years ago (just over 2 years now), I was really pretty ticked that there were so many things that just didn't work right. Too many things support could just never fix.

Then, some time later, I started to really get to like the product. Wasn't perfect, of course, and it couldn't do EVERYTHING, but those things it could do generally worked the way they were supposed to. There was an odd bug here and there, of course, but I was starting to really believe in the product and the company.

But recently - mainly since 4.8 - product quality seems to have gone in the toilet. They're trying too hard to be too ambitious and get too many things out in too short a time. I mean, I'd really like to have what they're planning (accounting, CRM, etc.) but not at the cost of what they've got - and what I've based much of my business on over the past couple of years - just doesn't work properly. Efficiency means having tools that work. I mean, I can't spend hours and hours every week trying to figure out why something simply like renaming a machine doesn't work. If you're making maybe $20 or maybe even $50 on a machine and then have to spend an hour finding out why when you renamed it the machine lost every setting it had, that means I've just lost money on that machine for no reason at all other than the tool I'm counting on just flat out doesn't work right.

• warever,

I sympathize with your issues; we have the same ones. There are bugs in the rename function which support is looking into. If you haven't already please try to work with support to help the community solve the problem.

As far as machine identification, we use the Agent tab and customize the Agent Status page to include Last Logged in User, Current User andComputerName (not to be confused with Machine Name). That's pretty much all of the information you'd need to identify the person from a helpdesk perspective.

We're doing this on nearly 5,000 endpoints so I completely understand your situation.

hang 10,

bob

Legacy Posted By Username: bpenland
  • bpenland wrote:
    warever,

I sympathize with your issues; we have the same ones. There are bugs in the rename function which support is looking into. If you haven't already please try to work with support to help the community solve the problem.

As far as machine identification, we use the Agent tab and customize the Agent Status page to include Last Logged in User, Current User andComputerName (not to be confused with Machine Name). That's pretty much all of the information you'd need to identify the person from a helpdesk perspective.

We're doing this on nearly 5,000 endpoints so I completely understand your situation.

hang 10,

bob

How were you able to customize the status page? That sounds like an excellent solution. We asset tag our equipment too and would like to be able to add a field that contains the Equipment ID value.

Legacy Posted By Username: ChiSoxDrew
  • You can add any number (there is a limit but I don't know what it is) of custom fields under the System Info tabin the Machine Summary view. We have added company name, mobile phone number, home phone number, ISP name, broadband connection type & a whole lot more.

By customising the Agent Status view, using the Select Columns function, you can then select whatever info you like to be displayed.

Cheers Ian

Legacy Posted By Username: TechOnline
  • Ah... it gets even worse. They supposedly fixed the rename issue. BS. I just tried to rename a little over half a dozen machines tonight. It ended up creating a new machine for most of them. A few seemed to rename ok (I haven't checked the script schedules and alerts yet so who knows). Others showed both the new machines and the old ones still there.

Worse, I was near my license limit. When it created the new machines, it ended up exceeding my license. Now I'm left with both the old machine names and the new machine names for many of them which exceeds my license- and now NONE of the renamed devices show as online because it is blocking them since it is officially over the limit.

Nice - rename a device and get over my license limit, preventing the new name from checking in and the rename from completing. Great strategy.

Yeah, I sent an e-mail to the 8x5 support. We'll see what happens in the morning.