Kaseya Community

Other Platforms

• I've just come from one of many pre-sales Kaseya Demo's and the only thing that's holding us back (for alot of clients) is the lack of agents for other operating systems.

We have no issues with the lack of Linux clients, due to the number of different 'flavours' of Linux available but I see no reason why Kaseya should not have an agent for Apple Macs. This agent would only be used for workstations not servers, so even a limited functionality agent would be more than enough!

I just thought We could do an up-to-date poll to see how many people this is an issue for or how many people an apple agent would be of great use to?

You never know, they might even bring a new agent out if this poll gets enough response!!

Cheers,

Karl.

Legacy Forum Name: Other Platforms,
    Legacy Posted By Username: karl
  • karl wrote:
    I've just come from one of many pre-sales Kaseya Demo's and the only thing that's holding us back (for alot of clients) is the lack of agents for other operating systems.

We have no issues with the lack of Linux clients, due to the number of different 'flavours' of Linux available but I see no reason why Kaseya should not have an agent for Apple Macs. This agent would only be used for workstations not servers, so even a limited functionality agent would be more than enough!

I just thought We could do an up-to-date poll to see how many people this is an issue for or how many people an apple agent would be of great use to?

You never know, they might even bring a new agent out if this poll gets enough response!!

Cheers,

Karl.

FYI, last year Kaseya did a poll with clients to see if they would do Mac agents.

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • I would like to see more clients... but from a business standpoint, I think Kaseya has hit the nail on the head.

In all seriousness
    ... what does your computer breakdown look like?

Windows
    Mac
    Linux

Windows holds 85%
    Mac has 5%
    Linux and others....10%

Which market do you want to sell to?

my breakdown looks like this..... 100% windows.... no macs no linux... and happy about it too.

Edited... cause Gamer-x tends to get on his soap box too much lately... Smile

I think a better poll would be.... How many people make their money solely on Mac, linux and other....... with little or no support for Microsoft Products?

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • I think the problem is that there are actually more companies than you would think with departments such as design / marketing etc. where pretty much the whole department use Macs.

I agree with the fact that Microsoft hold the majority share however I think that the Mac share of the market is not only larger than many people think, but it is only going to get bigger now that they use intel hardware and it is going to be more common place to have Macs that dual boot with windows!

• I think the problem is that there are actually more companies than you would think with departments such as design / marketing etc. where pretty much the whole department use Macs.

I agree with the fact that Microsoft hold the majority share however I think that the Mac share of the market is not only larger than many people think, but it is only going to get bigger now that they use intel hardware and it is going to be more common place to have Macs that dual boot with windows!

• karl wrote:
    I think the problem is that there are actually more companies than you would think with departments such as design / marketing etc. where pretty much the whole department use Macs.

Exactly. We support a lot of Marketing Departments and Marketing Firms. They use A LOT of Macs.

• Yes, and in some businesses you can end up in these situations if you're unlucky:

1) The FD/MD/Person you're selling to, is/was involved in a dept. which heavily relies on Mac's so all he sees is 'his' dept. not being supported (even though this is not the case). -- You don't get the contract

2) You end up trying to bend over backwards to provide the same services across all platforms -- margins drop significantly due to more work needed to keep service levelsfor the same price.

3) You get the contract but Mac users don't get the same support levels-- This leads to negative feedback from these users. No matter how many users this is affecting, it is now starting to seriously affect your business!

Basically, if you're providing a service to any companies with even a few Macs, no matter how strict your contract is or what your SLA's state. If the company uses Mac's and you rely on Kaseya for your support, you are unable to provide the service levels I'm sure we all aim to achieve!

• My head is hurting ... thinking of supporting dual booting macs with Windows....

EGAD! - Run Forrest Run!

I know you are right and I agree with that statement overall.

May I suggest two words to replace the words Apple and Mac.....

DOOR STOP!

Gamer-X

Legacy Posted By Username: Gamer-X
  • I'm not a huge fan either! but the customer knows best!!!

The only problem with this poll, is that it has been viewed over 30 times yet we only have 5 votes!

Come on people, It's only a click away to have your say!!!

• karl wrote:
    Yes, and in some businesses you can end up in these situations if you're unlucky:

1) The FD/MD/Person you're selling to, is/was involved in a dept. which heavily relies on Mac's so all he sees is 'his' dept. not being supported (even though this is not the case). -- You don't get the contract

2) You end up trying to bend over backwards to provide the same services across all platforms -- margins drop significantly due to more work needed to keep service levelsfor the same price.

3) You get the contract but Mac users don't get the same support levels-- This leads to negative feedback from these users. No matter how many users this is affecting, it is now starting to seriously affect your business!

Basically, if you're providing a service to any companies with even a few Macs, no matter how strict your contract is or what your SLA's state. If the company uses Mac's and you rely on Kaseya for your support, you are unable to provide the service levels I'm sure we all aim to achieve!

We find that ALL THE TIME, the decision makers are the ones with Mac's. I don't know why. The first 10 words out of thier mouth always includes "Do you support MAC's".

• Why do you need an agent for MAC's? I thought that they never had any problems. :-)

Legacy Posted By Username: rvines
  • Yes - We have more and more clients using MACs in their creative departments.

Legacy Posted By Username: eclemens
  • Yes - We have more and more clients using MACs in their creative departments.

Legacy Posted By Username: eclemens
  • We have Mac and Linux systems in 30-40% of our client locations. The vast majority of systems are Windows but even one or two Mac/Linux systems that cannot be seen or managed from Kaseya causes us to maintain two separate management sytsems.

It seem to make sense for Kaseya to develop an entry-level Mac and Linux agent with basic functionality.

And when I say basic functionality, I mean:

1) VNC-based Remote control - the ability to remotely access the systems through one consistent and secure mechanism would be a big boost for MSPs. And VNC is available for many platforms, it seems to make sense that it could be used. No extra bells and whistles are needed at first. No video streaming, no reset password, no task manager.

2) Basic auditing - whatever hardware and software info can easily be cleaned, get it. Hopefully it would include hard drive free space.

3) Monitoring/alerts to include: agent online/offline status andlow disk warnings. That's it.

4) No patching needed. We can survive in the early days with no patching support in Kaseya for Macs and Linux.

5) No backup needed. Again, in the first release, no backups are needed. We can survive through other methods.

6) No scripts. Or something very basic to allow "command line" execution.

It seems that if Kaseya took this approach to create a limited first release of agents for Mac and Linux, it would appease all of us for quite a while and it would allow them to market themselves as a multi-OS platform.

And the development to create a limited function first release is faster and less risky than developing a full-blown version. Then they could see how successful it was (i.e. how much more money they made selling Kaseya with cross platform capabilities) before deciding how much to invest in creating the full-blown version.

The big question is would Kaseya customers (us) embrace a limited functionality agentin the first release? Or would everyone give Kaseya a really hard time for not including everything right away?

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • kentschu wrote:
    We have Mac and Linux systems in 30-40% of our client locations. The vast majority of systems are Windows but even one or two Mac/Linux systems that cannot be seen or managed from Kaseya causes us to maintain two separate management sytsems.

It seem to make sense for Kaseya to develop an entry-level Mac and Linux agent with basic functionality.

And when I say basic functionality, I mean:

1) VNC-based Remote control - the ability to remotely access the systems through one consistent and secure mechanism would be a big boost for MSPs. And VNC is available for many platforms, it seems to make sense that it could be used. No extra bells and whistles are needed at first. No video streaming, no reset password, no task manager.

2) Basic auditing - whatever hardware and software info can easily be cleaned, get it. Hopefully it would include hard drive free space.

3) Monitoring/alerts to include: agent online/offline status andlow disk warnings. That's it.

4) No patching needed. We can survive in the early days with no patching support in Kaseya for Macs and Linux.

5) No backup needed. Again, in the first release, no backups are needed. We can survive through other methods.

6) No scripts. Or something very basic to allow "command line" execution.

It seems that if Kaseya took this approach to create a limited first release of agents for Mac and Linux, it would appease all of us for quite a while and it would allow them to market themselves as a multi-OS platform.

And the development to create a limited function first release is faster and less risky than developing a full-blown version. Then they could see how successful it was (i.e. how much more money they made selling Kaseya with cross platform capabilities) before deciding how much to invest in creating the full-blown version.

The big question is would Kaseya customers (us) embrace a limited functionality agentin the first release? Or would everyone give Kaseya a really hard time for not including everything right away?

I mirror this exactly.