Kaseya Community

Backup Exec Module

This question is not answered

We have been running the Backup Exec Module for some time without issue but now I have a server that the module will not collect the data anymore.

The server is running BE2012 SP1a

The procedures say they run but now data shows up in the job history.

Any Suggestion?

All Replies
  • My first suggestion is to get a ticket open with Symantec.

They have been responsive here on the forums and I'll try to forward this over to the people I know there.

• Are you implying that the module stopped working when you applied SP1a?

• Not at all it seems to work on the other servers we have with the servers that are running backup exec 12.5 and 2010 but is not working with servers running 2013. And of those 2013 systems they all stopped about the same time. Nov 21 - Nov 23

• Sorry, running 2012 or 2012 with SP1a

• Which version of Backup Exec Plug-in that you are currently using? BE 2012 support was first introduced in BE plug-in v1.1.

in case you're still using v1.0, you need to upgrade to v1.1 or v1.1 SP1 depending on which version of Kaseya Server (6.3 or earlier than 6.3) you're using. Please find the details at www.symantec.com/.../index

Regards,

Ramesh Bupathy  |  Symantec

correction wording
    [edited by: Ramesh Bupathy (Symantec) at 11:38 AM (GMT -8) on Dec 5, 2013]
  • That is the odd thing, The collection was working up to Nov 20th, then it just stopped.

• Which version of Backup Exec Plug-in that you are currently using? You can find that information from within the plug-in's UI ('Quick links' menu > 'About' or so) and also from add/remove programs UI of Windows.

Regards,

Ramesh Bupathy | Symantec

• I did not think the 2012 version used the plugin. I will check the system and see,

This is the error i get on the agent exception:

Could not load BEMCLI module.

System.Management.Automation.PSSecurityException: File C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Modules\BEMCLI\BEMCLI.Scripts.psm1 cannot be loaded. The contents of file C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Modules\BEMCLI\BEMCLI.Scripts.psm1 may have been tampered because the hash of the file does not match the hash stored in the digital signature. The script will not execute on the system. Please see "get-help about_signing" for more details.. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: File C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Modules\BEMCLI\BEMCLI.Scripts.psm1 cannot be loaded. The contents of file C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Modules\BEMCLI\BEMCLI.Scripts.psm1 may have been tampered because the hash of the file does not match the hash stored in the digital signature. The script will not execute on the system. Please see "get-help about_signing" for more details..

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Management.Automation.AuthorizationManager.ShouldRunInternal(CommandInfo commandInfo, CommandOrigin origin, PSHost host)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ModuleCmdletBase.GetScriptInfoForFile(String fileName, String& scriptName)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ModuleCmdletBase.LoadModule(String fileName, String moduleBase, String prefix, SessionState ss, Boolean& found)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ModuleCmdletBase.LoadUsingExtensions(String moduleName, String fileBaseName, String extension, String moduleBase, String prefix, SessionState ss, Boolean& found)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ModuleCmdletBase.LoadModuleNamedInManifest(String moduleName, String moduleBase, Boolean searchModulePath, String prefix, SessionState ss, Boolean loadTypesFiles, Boolean loadFormatFiles, Boolean& found)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ModuleCmdletBase.LoadModuleManifest(ExternalScriptInfo scriptInfo, ManifestProcessingFlags manifestProcessingFlags, Version version)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ModuleCmdletBase.LoadModule(String fileName, String moduleBase, String prefix, SessionState ss, Boolean& found)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ModuleCmdletBase.LoadUsingExtensions(String moduleName, String fileBaseName, String extension, String moduleBase, String prefix, SessionState ss, Boolean& found)

at Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand.ProcessRecord()

at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessor.ProcessRecord()

• UPDATE: Please refer my next post for a better solution.

Thanks for pasting the error message. Could you check the resolutions specified in the technote www.symantec.com/.../index resolve this issue? Post the result once tried them.

(FYI - Another possibly related issue is discussed at http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH185703. Sharing this link, just in case you face this issue after solving the original issue.)

Regards,

Referred to next post.
    [edited by: Ramesh Bupathy (Symantec) at 11:41 PM (GMT -8) on Dec 30, 2013]
  • Please ignore my last post for now.

After some analysis, it seems the issue you're facing seems to be due to the expiration of digital signature shipped with prior releases of BE 2012.

Please check out www.symantec.com/.../index

As per this technote, "Backup Exec 2012 Rev 1798 Service Pack 3" should address the problem.

Regards,

• Hi, Just following up to check whether the suggested solution resolved the issue or you still need any help on this issue.

Regards,

• Sorry for the delay on this. I am updating those systems today and will let you know.

• Still has the issue after installing SP3.

• Thank you for sharing more info.

1. After BE 2012 SP3, do you get the same error or different error this time?

2. What is the powershell execution policy level that has been set on BE 2012 SP3 server? (i.e. 'All signed', 'restricted', or 'unrestricted' etc.) Run 'Get-ExecutionPolicy' cmdlet within PS's command window to findout that.

3. Just for testing purpose, you may want to temporarily set it to 'unrestricted' and then try a BE's BEMCLI cmdlet (refer BE's BEMCLI.chm file in its install directory for help) and share the result. We need to first ensure BE 2012's BEMCLI cmdlet works fine before trying to check plug-in.

regards,

spelling.
    [edited by: Ramesh Bupathy (Symantec) at 12:21 PM (GMT -8) on Jan 10, 2014]
  • Hi,

It looks like, sometimes, even after installing SP3, the digital certificate/publisher is not found in the "trusted publishers'" folder in the local computer's certificates store. Once the appropriate Symantec certificate is added to the local certificate store, this error should not encounter again. Detailed steps are given below, please try and then share the result.

If you see the error message as mentioned in the TECH NOTE http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH213437 (in BE 2012, SP1a, SP2 or SP3), please try the following steps.

1. Upgrade to BE 2012 SP3 if not already having SP3.

2. Manually install the certificate using the following steps:

a) Right-click on the file mentioned in the error message you are getting. For example: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Modules\BEMCLI\BEMCLI.Scripts.psm1

b) Select "Properties" menu > Click "Digital Signatures" tab.

c) In the 'Signature list', select "Symantec Corporation" row item.

d) Click "Details" button

e) Click "View Certificate" button

f) Click "Install certificate" button

g) A wizard would appear. Click 'Next' in the welcome page.

h) In 'Certiticate Store' page, select "Place all certificates in the following store:" option and then click "Browse" button.

i) "Select Certificate Store" dialog would appear.

j) Select "Show Physical Stores" (check box) option in that dialog.

k) Expand "Trusted Publishers" folder, and then choose "Local Computer" folder. Now, click OK button.

l) Click 'Next' and then 'Finish' button.

m) You should see "The Import was successful" message.

3. If certificate was imported successfully, please follow the steps given in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms788967(v=vs.110).aspx in order to confirm that the same Symantec certificate is listed under "Trusted Publishers\Local Computer" folder in the certificate store.

4. Go to Windows START menu and  browse to "All programs" > "Symantec Backup Exec" > "Backup Exec Management Command Line Interface"

5. A command window would appear and may prompt you a few questions. For the question, that would ask your choice about whether you would like to trust this publisher (i.e. Symantec), please choose "A" [Always]. Just proceed with your choice/option for other questions if prompted.

6. If you see the "BEMCLI >" command prompt without any error, that is a symptom to confirm the original issue you encountered has been resolved and you can now RUN a Backup Exec Agent procedure and verify the data is reported in the plug-in's UI in Kaseya's Web Console.