Kaseya Community

Distribute agent via GPO

• As everyone knows there are several ways to distribute agents for Kaseya

1) LanWatch and install from here
    2) Logon Scripts
    3) Manually visit each PC

To distribute an application via group policy (Windows 2000 and Windows 2003) the application needs to be in the form of a .MSI file. I was browsing through the features of Kaseya earlier and found a packager application for distributing applications through Kaseya.

Although I havent really played with it much, does this Packager create the .MSI file that could then be distributed via GPO? Has anyone else used this feature to distribute the agents?

My reasons for looking into GPO is as follows

1) LanWatch is not the most reliable way to distribute the agents
    2) Not all customers use LogonScripts
    3) Manual visits are time consuming and not cost effective

If anyone can shed any light onto this it would be very much appreciated

Mark

Legacy Forum Name: Distribute agent via GPO,
    Legacy Posted By Username: 1800Zeta
  • This is straight from the Packager option screen:

Create and deploy software packages by following these steps:

Download the Packager application to the machine you plan to build your install package on.

Execute Packager.exe and follow the on-screen instructions to create a distribution package.

Distribute the package via a script.
    Note: Packages can only be executed on machines with Agents installed.

Step #3 clearly states any created packagesrequire an agent already be installed to deploy.

Matt

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: connectex
  • In that case the only option is to purchase some separate 3rd party application that will run through and do the same thing - check registry and files then create the MSI file.

Just seems a shame that you cant use the Packager within Kaseya to distribute its own agent

• I know LANWatch isn't 100% perfect,but it works most of the time. You could use e-mail, or some otherutility like psexec to distrubute the agent to any LANWatch doesn't work on.

Matt

• The problem is with 129 Sites covering 1200 client machines, the mangement overhead of that is extremely large, especially as new machines get added, remembering to redistribute via LANWatch and then catching the failures. Logon scripts have proven to be the most reliable way so far especially in the SBS environments however there are a few customers where Logon Scripts arent used and GPO can be enforced etc covering any new machines added to the network.

I dont like time being used to unecessarily administer systems when the tools are already there to do the job.

• Well based on your options, you have choose what options(s) will get the most deployed and deal with any exceptions. I agree login scripts are probably the best but workgroups don't support them.

• you can use a GPO without using an MSI file.  just use the login / startup script options.  the advantage of the startup script is the startup script runs at System level security and the login script runs at user level. so it is posable the login script may fail if you have security options set low for users as you should.  I just run a .csm/.bat file which calls the agent.exe with the options /e  /c  /s  /g=GroupName  that way it installs when the computer reboots in the event it did not install any other way.