Kaseya Community

system tray icon for existing deployed agents

• Hello,

We have deployed the Kaseya client to several tens of computers, and only after the deployment we decided to customize the tray icon. Is there a script that we can use to update all the existing clients' icons? The new clients that we deploy, obviously get the customized icon as of today, but would like to change the existing clients without removing/reinstalling the Kaseya agent. Thanks.

Regards,
    Alex

Legacy Forum Name: system tray icon for existing deployed agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: ivascu
  • I've used the "Distribute Files" function to do exactly that. In fact, it worked too well. I did a test redistribute of a new online.ico to my laptop, and after seeing that it worked, promptly forgot about it. For the next few days, I would manually change back the icon on my laptop, only to have it change every time Kaseya restarted or checked-in! After banging my head against the well just a little, I cancelled the file distribution and all was well.

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: BulletproofSean
  • I think theupdate agent function will do the same thing.

Agent --> Update Agent

You may need to try the force checkbox.

Mike

Legacy Posted By Username: mfelder
  • I am having the same problem, Unable to update the icons on already distributed clients, I tried client update and checked off force update but will not get updated. New installation packages has the new icons but not updating on the existing ones. Any guidence will be appreciated

Thanks
    Alex G

Legacy Posted By Username: ageorge
  • What about creating a script that deletes the original icons, then pulls the new icons from the Kaseya server. You can also manage the files to make sure they don't get ripped off. Stick this in your templates to ensure all new agents get the new icons deployed shortly after the first checkin.

Just my 0.02..

Kevin

Legacy Posted By Username: MadTux
  • What about creating a script that deletes the original icons, then pulls the new icons from the Kaseya server. You can also manage the files to make sure they don't get ripped off. Stick this in your templates to ensure all new agents get the new icons deployed shortly after the first checkin.

Just my 0.02..

Kevin

Just my 0.02..

Kevin

• hmmm... connection timed out 3 times. Sorry about the multiple post..

• There are no "original" icons in the Kaseya Client installation. You won't find any .ico files.

When you use the Kaseya interface to put in your own custom icons, all it really does is place _new_ icon files into the C:\Program Files\Kaseya\Agent\Custom directory. These icons override the default icons.

Now, if for some reason the custom icons menus on your Kaseya server aren't working, OR if you are like me and I actually share a Kaseya server with someone else and I don't have access to those parts of the server interface, then you MUST do the following:

- Under Script -> Distribute File, upload your icons files to the server named as follows:

blink.ico - used when the Kaseya agent client icon needs to blink. I don't actually know what situation causes this

noremote.ico - this client icon shows when the client has disabled remote control

offline.ico - you can guess when this is for

online.ico - ditto

Once you've uploaded these, distribute these files to the C:\Program Files\Kaseya\Agent\Custom directory. That's all you need to do. The distribute file function will make sure those files are always there, even if they get deleted.

• Great idea for customizaing tray icons! I wrote a script that you can use for this task:

http://www.securemycompany.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • ?

Just use the Distribute Files function....it doesn't really get any easier than that.

• True, distribute function is easy but a script offerssome advantages:

1. You can apply the script to a template on which you base new agents and have new agent deployments automagically have their tray icons customized

2. Change all four icon files by assigning a script instead of distributing them one file at a time and having to specify destination path/file each time

3. You can expand the script to follow the icon changes by a reboot or an agent service restart to have the changes go into effect right away

Legacy Posted By Username: bellcpa
  • bellcpa wrote:
    True, distribute function is easy but a script offerssome advantages:

1. You can apply the script to a template on which you base new agents and have new agent deployments automagically have their tray icons customized

2. Change all four icon files by assigning a script instead of distributing them one file at a time and having to specify destination path/file each time

3. You can expand the script to follow the icon changes by a reboot or an agent service restart to have the changes go into effect right away

1. Distribute files can be applied to templates too.

2. See 1. Also, I configured exactly four file distributions, and just copied agent settings from there.

3. I'll have to take your word for this, I've never had to do it. On all new agents I install, the icons change for me within 2 check-in cycles.

In the grand scheme of things it don't make much difference which way its done. I'm just really sure I don't need a script for something Kaseya already does really well.