Kaseya Community

MS06-012 - Excel 2003 (905756)

• None of our PCs that have Excel 2003 are showing as needing this patch when scanned with Kaseya, however if I scan with MBSA, it says the patch is needed.

Has anyone deployed MS06-012 using Kaseya?

Legacy Forum Name: MS06-012 - Excel 2003 (905756),
    Legacy Posted By Username: sam.thomas
  • sam.thomas wrote:
    None of our PCs that have Excel 2003 are showing as needing this patch when scanned with Kaseya, however if I scan with MBSA, it says the patch is needed.

Has anyone deployed MS06-012 using Kaseya?

Both Kaseya and MBSA are saying the patch is needed?

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • far182,
    I'm not sure if you meant that as a question, but in our situation MBSA is saying the patch is needed and Kaseya isn't.

• Interesting. I imagine that Kaseya downloads the XML file from Microsoft to get the patch list. Any comments on this from Kaseya?

• I'm interested in the answer as well.

Legacy Posted By Username: kentschu
  • The MSSECURE.XML file is the microsoft one, however the kaseya server will retrieve this from the Kaseya update server, rather than from Microsoft.

If you are finding differences, the best course of action is to email the file c:\temp\patchscn.xml from the affected machine to support@kaseya.com, outlining the patch in question.

The patch team can then check the xml file and see why kaseya believes that the patch is or isn't needed.

Although kaseya uses the same database as tools such as MBSA, the scanning process is different, and this may lead to differences in the results. We have found situations where a patch failed to install, yet MBSA showed the patch as not needed in the past due to the different methods that are used.

Kaseya Support

Legacy Posted By Username: jnuttall
  • Well, maybe Kaseya have updated their mssecure.xml over the Easter break, because now MS06-012 is being detected on machines.

Does Kaseya have a notification list we can sign up to so that we hear about these fixes, rather than having to just keep trying until it works?

• I also noticed that there was an addition to the xml file over the weekend.