Kaseya Community

LANWatch cannot deploy clients

• lanwatch1.JPG
    I manually installed the Kaseya client on the server at a customer site using terminal services and then scheduled a LANWatch to find the other devices. It found the other devices without any problems. However, when I go to use this to deploy the clients there are no clients available for installation.

One odd thing about this network is they use a 10.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 network for about 15 total devices in one location. The different types of devices are in different "Class C" networks from the other devices. The server is in 10.0.2.0 while the workstations are 10.0.5.0.

How can I use Lanwatch to deploy clients in this situation? See the screen shots for more detail.

Legacy Forum Name: LANWatch cannot deploy clients,
    Legacy Posted By Username: trebligb2
  • lanwatch2.JPG
    other screen shot

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
  • lanwatch3.JPG
    Last Screen Shot

• I just tried adding a second IP address to the server in the 10.0.5.0 range and re-running LANWatch, then tried the deploy and it does the same thing still.

• By default Kaseya LANWatch scans a class C subnet. By putting deivces on seperate class C subnets it's not picking them up in a scan. Hate to ask - but why would they set up their network like this? Maybe it's time for a change?

When you do a LANWatch you can manually specifiy the scan range and make it wider, but if you try to go too far LANWatch will stop you. Scanning a single class C subnet is no big deal, at 254 addresses, but move to a class B, and thats 65535 odd addesses. If the LANWatch scanned the IP addresses 1 a second, thats a long time to do scan. Hence it will not scan more than a few class C subnets.

Tick the machine you want to scan from in the LANWatch function, then manually enter the range 10.20.2.1 - 10.20.5.254. That should pick up all the devices.

Happy hunting! Wink

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • BTW, the devices that don't have a hostname are not being picked up as windows machines - you won't be able to deploy to them. If they are windows machines, then there is real issues on that network, as it means they are not able to resolve thier IP address to a name.

Legacy Posted By Username: raybarber
  • We have multiple clients with Class B networks, including our own. It scans a class B fine. We just limit what it scans.

Legacy Posted By Username: far182
  • Its kind of a catch 22... I was trying to use Kaseya to get workstation and server inventories to help write a network assessment to justify a large number of changes including the goofy IP scheme (also a backup solution, XP Home on a domain, trying to push CAD files over a VPN using DSL Internet, no antivirus at all, etc). I have a guy heading over this week to manually deploy the clients.

I'm kind of suprised the remote deploy requires name resolution though. Is it DNS or Netbios resolution? They get DNS resolution and we can ping workstations by name but Netbios resolution is not working for them at all right now (My Network Places is empty).

• For many years, many people underestimated the necessity for proper name resolution. Of course until 2000, there never really was a real working DNS Server for Windows and many people either relied on Linux or blindfolded themselves and pressed the "install WINS" button.

After 2000 however, DNS has become absolutely necessary. WINS has gone away, along with its massive database problems and resolution errors. Active Directory and pretty much everything else in the 2000 and up platforms FEED on DNS. If it doesn't work or is not setup properly, nothing else will work.

The same goes for the Kaseya agent or any other network based tool. If it can't find and/or resolve machine names properly - it will just not work. That's kind of the point though. When you sell the solution, NOT being able to deploy a simple application like the Kaseya agent proves to your client that they have much more serious problems - which is something that you can now take care of, assuming you can get the clients installed.

So some clients, if they are really in bad shape will require some hand holding. You might have to go over there with a few guys and a bunch of CDRs, you might send all the users an email with a link to the agent and ask them to install it, but regardless you will have to spend a little time getting the agents installed so that you can dig in deeper and see what the REAL problem is on that network.

Legacy Posted By Username: elehman