Kaseya Community

Rename computer

• I'd like to change the naming scheme for a set of computers. Anyone have exeperience or input on this?

Ex. I have a workgroup with three computers that belong to company abc in New York. The current naming scheme is sporadic. I'd like to change it toreflect the state and thecompany and the computer number.Like this "NYcompanyabc1", or NYcompanyabc2... etc. I understand that I may need to deploy these scripts indivudually, but how do I use a script to rename them?
    Any input is appreciated.

Legacy Forum Name: Rename computer,
    Legacy Posted By Username: bv_ciacob
  • Easy

Client

Install Clients/Rename

Select computer

Enter new name

Click Rename

Howard Cunningham

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • Easy

Client

Install Clients/Rename

Select computer

Enter new name

Click Rename

Howard Cunningham

Legacy Posted By Username: howardc
  • I believe this only renames the agent and keeps the computer name the same. I am going to try it again, but the first time I did it that way, only the Kaseya agent on that machine was renamed, not the machine itself.

Legacy Posted By Username: bv_ciacob
  • RenameMachine.txt
    Ok, Ive got your solution for you. This was with quite a bit of help from Kaseya support. It essentially will let you change the agent name, then pull the machine.groupid variable off then refer to a vbscript to parse the machine name off of that. Just change the .txt to .zip grab the two files, import the Kaseya script then ftp the vbscript to #KaseyaInstall#WebPagesManagedFilesVSASharedFiles and run it. It has a reboot attached to it, so beware (I generally do all my reboots manually so that I can do the majority of the work I need during buisness hours and the reboots later) and dont forget that if you change the machine name and dont add the computer account to the domain then you may very easily shut down a network.

Legacy Posted By Username: lameduck