Kaseya Community

Feature request: new agent menu item - Allow remote access

• Some of our clients will have sensitive information on their screens and want to have the right to block remote access until we phone them or chat to ask for rc to be enabled.

The idea is that rc will be disabled by default and the client will enable it upon request. Then the agent should sit in enabled mode and revert to disabled either at the end of the next rc session or if a timeout period elapses, say 15 minutes.

Essentially this is a PR exercise - I know that by rc'ing or ts'ing into their server we as IT Admin can access most data - but we can't necessarily see online banking screens or credit card transactions being posted, so this would satisfy our clients that they retain control.

Any one else think this is a good idea?

Legacy Forum Name: Feature request: new agent menu item - Allow remote access,
    Legacy Posted By Username: guyboertje
  • I agree with this. I have a client who is the CEO of a hospital and is very paranoid about people being able to just "take control" of his computer through VNC or the likes. Basically his trust has been violated in the past. He has a written policy that if anyone needs to control his computer, they must ask him for it permission. With Kaseya, written policy is simply a moralbarrier because there is no real computer policy that prevents such access. He wants theability toallow or disallowothers access to direct control his PC.He understands that we as the administrators can still access most/if not all of his unencrypted data but he does not want us to be able to view his session without his permission. This may be a catch point in getting them as a managed services client so it is critical that we address this. Any ideas?

Legacy Forum Name: Agents,
    Legacy Posted By Username: jyarborough
  • Yes. On the agent menu for those managed machines, turn on thefunction to Enable or Disable Remote Control. The user has control over whether or not their machine can be controlled. When they want to allow access, then Enable otherwise the option is Disabled.

Legacy Posted By Username: jimalves
  • Although the feature is 'sticky' i.e. if disabled it stays disabled until enabled. I wanted a fail safe mechanism for reverting to disabled when rc session ends, i.e. it is a property of the client - RC disabled.

Legacy Posted By Username: guyboertje
  • There isn't. Since the user controls it, it is currently up to them to set it back. However, you do have access to the menu when you are doing remote control so you can switch it as well.

I will put this on our enhancement list for Remote Control.

• Thanks for all the feedback. I was also talking with one of our other engineers and he mentioned that we have the remote controloption disabled in the system tray menu and recommendedremoving the remote control piece out of the agent and using the video streaming when the client wanted to connect. Does this make sense? Once the client connects the first time, will it reinstall the VNC piece and then in the future allow us to take control again?

• Yes, that is one way around it. You can have a link on your site to get live help. That would re-direct them to the page for Video Streaming where the user initiates the remote control request.

The major difference with Video Streaming is that the connection is not using the agent pipe, therefore the data is not encrypted.

• Ahh, interesting. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing this feature!