Kaseya Community

popups are not working on some machines

This question is answered

Hello, any thoughts on what may prevent the Kaseya messages from appearing on some machines but not others? Messages from agent procedures, after patch updates, and the "send messages" popups are not appearing on random machines.

I tried disabling forefront, windows firewall, defender, no change and no other obvious fixes are jumping out at me. I updated all agents and audited, rebooted... I have already opened a ticket with Kaseya support, but I don't want to just sit and wait - and I've searched this forum pretty extensively.

Thanks for any direction on this!

Joe

Verified Answer
  • Have you checked if "Kausrtsk.exe" is running on the profile that's currently logged in? Kausrtsk.exe is the peice that interacts with the live session in 6.x

All Replies
  • Honestly, I don't use the Kaseya popups. I've had a lot more success with the MSG command: support.microsoft.com/.../186480

msg * Hello world!

I like it better because it pops up on every profile... including the console session... and even when nobody is logged in!

• That's a great idea for popups, thank you... but what about user initiated prompts? (If user response is yes) Plus, I customized their icons to look very nice and that's what they're used to seeing for Kaseya popups.

Any thoughts to what running program or any other property could be blocking the Kaseya initiated messages?

• I have noticed this too. Haven't figured it out yet and was planning on opening a support ticket soon.

Let me know if you find a solution.

• Please do, I'm getting nowhere... I've tried agent update, killing security programs (forefront, firewall, virus, etc) and nothing is fixing it. I also can't find any common properties among non-working machines. It just started recently and right in the middle of a new deployment... bad timing.

The more the merrier, please let me know if you find a reason. I know a work-around is to completely uninstall and reinstall the agent, but I refuse to do that to all machines. Something needs to be corrected and pushed via hotfix and then I'm sure I'll have to update the agents again through the console and that will fix everything, but that's how it should happen.

• Have you checked if "Kausrtsk.exe" is running on the profile that's currently logged in? Kausrtsk.exe is the peice that interacts with the live session in 6.x

• SMason

Honestly, I don't use the Kaseya popups. I've had a lot more success with the MSG command: support.microsoft.com/.../186480

msg * Hello world!

I like it better because it pops up on every profile... including the console session... and even when nobody is logged in!

Mason, that's awesome! Never thought of that idea.

For those reading this, I'd still check the kausrtsk.exe running as it does more then just pop-ups.... If a user is logged in you'll want that to start on their session. I've had issues in the past with this and had to add a short cut  for it in the all start folder, or you could use the reg key to accomplish the same thing.

But I do like the msg * track as it covers everyone, would be very useful in a TS environment.

• Ok, so it is definitely KaUsrTsk.exe process not being started. The registry entry that is supposed to launch it was never created. (Or was removed shortly after it was created) Either way, I created an Agent procedure to add the registry entries to start KaUsrTask.exe upon any user logon. This has been a huge p.i.t.a. but I think this has finally addressed the issue. I'm just now testing it out, but as machines are rebooting, the KaUsrTsk process is starting.

Agent Procedure in a later post***

[edited by: Joe P at 8:10 AM (GMT -7) on 20 Aug 2012] changed
  • Couldn't you also check for that registry value before the popup step in your procedure? (And if it's not there, add it, then run KaUsrTsk.exe as the currently logged in user?)

• You can absolutely check for the registry value, sure. (I just didn't) Regarding running the KaUsrTsk.exe as the logged in user, that was the 1st thing I tried. It doesn't work, I tried about all of the common sense stuff you could think of, even copying down psexec and using that to launch it, but no. Support said the same thing - that it could only be launched manually by the local logged in user, or when launched by the registry. It's the damnedest thing.

• DELETED

[edited by: Joe P at 8:29 AM (GMT -7) on 20 Aug 2012] deleted
  • Joe P.

Can you re-attach that script? When i copy it in it gave me an error

• Maybe try this? Probably a formatting issue...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <ScriptExport xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://www.kaseya.com/vsa/2008/12/Scripting">
    <Procedure name="AddRegistryKey_KaUsrTsk-AutoRun" treePres="3" id="1938390191" folderId="81762123243155846311412714">
    <Body description="">
    <Statement description="Create a named procedure variable and assign a value retrieved from the managed machine by the agent." name="GetVariable" continueOnFail="false">
    <Parameter xsi:type="EnumParameter" name="VariableType" value="AgentInstallDirectory" />
    <Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="SourceContent" value="" />
    <Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="VariableName" value="installDrv" />
    </Statement>
    <If description="">
    <Condition name="Windows 32 or 64 Bit Check">
    <Parameter xsi:type="EnumParameter" name="Condition" value="NotExists" />
    <Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Value" value="" />
    </Condition>
    <Then>
    <Statement description="Set the specified registry value - Regedit displays keys as folders and values as documents." name="SetRegistryValue" continueOnFail="false">
    <Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="RegistryPath" value="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\KASHKASEYAAGENT" />
    <Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Value" value="&quot;#installDrv#\KaUsrTsk.exe&quot;" />
    <Parameter xsi:type="EnumParameter" name="DataType" value="String" />
    </Statement>
    </Then>
    <Else>
    <Statement description="Set the specified registry value on 64 bit systems." name="SetRegistryValue64" continueOnFail="false">
    <Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="RegistryPath" value="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\KASHKASEYAAGENT" />
    <Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="Value" value="&quot;#installDrv#\KaUsrTsk.exe&quot;" />
    </Statement>
    <Statement description="Set the specified registry value on 64 bit systems." name="SetRegistryValue64" continueOnFail="false">
    <Parameter xsi:type="StringParameter" name="RegistryPath" value="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\KASHKASEYAAGENT" />
    </Statement>
    </Else>
    </If>
    </Body>
    </Procedure>
    </ScriptExport>

• thanks. Yes think it was formatting

• Also reached out to support on this and they gave me this response:

I must let you know that the registry is there by default and if it is not, its because something is blocking it. AV/Security program. If you have gone to machines and that key is not present, then something is removing it, and until you locate the cause, that script will not help. As before it will not run or even while you are the program can remove it again.

Please ensure the following settings are set in any software you may have.:

AV/Firewall have exceptions for the following:

C:\Kworking\

C:\Program Files\Kaseya\

C:\Program Files x86\Kaseya\

Ensure that port 5721 is open inbound and outbound for both UDP/TCP

That NAT is enabled.

That UAC is disabled. If applicable.

That no applications are blocking Agentmon.exe & KaUsrTsk.exe from running on the machine in question.

• OK, forget everything above about the registry addition scripts, etc... this was a simple ForeFront block which kept the KaUsrTsk.exe process from starting via the existing registry entries. (The registry paths are different for 64 bit win 7 machines, under HKLM/Software/Wow6432Node/etc.. instead of just HKLM/Software/Microsoft... That's why I originally thought the registry entry got erased)

So, very long story slightly less long, it was a ForeFront issue and the client is working to add KaUsrTsk.exe as a classified process launched from the registry. The procedures above won't do anything... Kaseya will write the necessary registry paths every time the machine boots - I tested that last night. So, this was environmental it just took a long time for me to find the Event Log that showed where ForeFront didn't like the KaUsrTsk process. It was under System and the Source name was FCSAM. If you have ForeFront and are experiencing this issue, KaUsrTsk.exe needs to be allowed through the global admin console. (Which I've never used so I don't know how it's done)

Thanks for the help and ideas, much appreciated.

Joe P