Kaseya Community

Agent Deployment

• Hi 

We are pretty new to Kaseya in that we are just implementing it and have a question on Agent Deployment over a multitude of connections.

Most of our agents get deployed and the connect back to our Kaseya server via a DNS record over the internet and this works well. However we have a number of customers we deploy to that either go over N3, Janet or want to route down a VPN directly to us and will not let this traffic go out over the internet. 

These sites will never be able to make the initial connection on the address specified in system settings via the DNS or direct IP. When we have deployed the agent to these sites I updated the kaseyad.ini file to pint to an N3 IP or VPN IP and then the agent popped up in Kaseya, however we discovered that this file got overwritten again with the original DNS put back in.

My question is, how do we acheive scenario?

• cant you just change the check in control for those agents to the N3 ip then it wont get over written with the wrong stuff, which is actually the right stuff according to kaseya

• Hi Michael

Thanks for the quick response, could you please point me to the check in control area to modify this?

Regards

David

• Agent >> Check-in Control

Fill in the details and update the machines

• Hi Alistair

I am a true novice, where do I find Agent >> Check-in Control?

Also does this setting rely on the fact that the Agent has checked in once?

• By Agent I mean the Agent menu in the stacking menu and Check-in Control is nearer the bottom of that list.

It will require the agent to be checking in for this to work or the system won't be able to update the agent.

• Well I guess that's the catch 22 then as the Agent will never be able to check in on the address specified in System >> Server Management >> Configure screen.

Is the solution to this updating the Kaseyad.ini manually so it checks in and then this will pick up the Check In Control set on the machine group?

• If you can get to the machine then yes that would work.  Firstly stop the Kaseya Agent then modify the kaseyad.ini with the correct address and restart the agent and it should check in.  If you set it manually you shouldn't need to change the Check-In Control though it won't do any harm setting it.

• OK well that's my issue as I am changing the kaseyad.ini manually to get the check in but something is replacing the ini file back to the original and changing the one I modified to kaseyad.bak.

I this normal behavior?

• Paraffin,

Go to Agent->Create

Type in an agent name (ie. privateNetwork) and click create.

This will create a template agent.  It never checks in so it doesn't cost a license.

Then go to Agent->Check-In Control

Select the agent you created and assign it the private IP that you want.

Then to to Agent->Deploy Agent

Click on Create Package and go through the Wizard

In Step 4 where it asks you to copy settings, select the template package that you created.  This will assign the privateNetwork IP address to the new agent install package.  Use this package to deploy to the customers with the private IP.

Note: you can use the template agent to pre-assign nearly every setting in Kaseya.

Hope this makes sense.

- Max

• @ Alistair If you set it manually you shouldn't need to change the Check-In Control though it won't do any harm setting it.

The agent will check in once then pull the severs checkin control setting then the agent wont check in again as the ini will be over written with what ever the server says it should be.

@Paraffin OK well that's my issue as I am changing the kaseyad.ini manually to get the check in but something is replacing the ini file back to the original and changing the one I modified to kaseyad.bak.

I this normal behavior?

yes this is compeltely normal 

to prevent the problem in the fist place do what Max said 

[edited by: Michael Dixon (enfusion) at 2:40 PM (GMT -8) on 3-2-2012] s