Kaseya Community

Two Machines with Same Agent GUID

• Hello Everyone,

We have a user who "rebuilt" his machine by cloning his colleague's computer that already had Kaseya installed on it.  Of course, this makes both computers have the same Agent GUID (and system SID as well).  Since these two colleagues are on separate networks (not part of a domain, just a workgroup), is there a way other than sysprepping the system to force his Kaseya agent to get a new GUID?

Would uninstalling the Kaseya agent and reinstalling it work or is there a better way?

Thanks.

• community.kaseya.com/.../12950.aspx

I posted a link above to another discussion which i hope you find useful.

• There is a "KaseyaD.ini" file in the same folder as "Agentmon.exe".  Not sure if the location is the same for everyone as some of our folders are branded.  Just search for it in the Program Files folder (Program Files (x86) on a 64bit machine).

Anyway, this file is created when the agent install is done.  If the agent install is done with the machine offline, the contents are pretty generic.  Then when the machine checks in for the first time, all of the important ID information is written to it.

If you can download and install the agent on a machine while it is offline (download and save installer, then remove internet connection before installing) you can create a blank "KaseyaD.ini" file that can be used to replace the one currently on the machine.

Once that is done, move the machine back online (make sure the machine is not named the same as another machine) and it will check in with it's new identity.

We have a blank file that we use when building all machine images.  After the machine has checked in, been patched, etc. (everything but KES), then we replace that file with the blank one and save the image.  When each of the imaged machines checks in it gets it's own identity.

If the SID is the same on both machines that may (will) cause issues while joined to a domain.  If the machines are not on the same domain or any domain, then the SID shouldn't be an issue.

Running Sysprep on the machine isn't really that big of deal.  A couple settings get reset, but programs stay and most everything else works the way it should.

You can also uninstall the agent and reinstall but you may have to do it to both machines to avoid hiccups...  And make sure the machines are named differently.

• Thanks, Pete.  I appreciate the detailed response.  I'll have the user try this and, hopefully, all should be well.

• Sysinternals have a tool for creating a new SID...

technet.microsoft.com/.../bb897418

Haven't used it in ages though!

• Great Link!  Thank you.

The research that I did suggested that Newsid does not work with Windows 7.  We have used Sysprep before when our cloning sofware does not handle the SID change properly and it works fine.  We use Acronis Backup & Recovery for cloning and it has an option to change the SID for you when you install the image on a new machine.

In the case above it sounds like the clone may have been "manual" in nature and Sysprep would have taken care of most of the issue.  The agent however would still cause problems because of the Kaseya.ini file no matter what the machine was renamed to or if the SID was different.  The two machines would fight over the agent as they check in.

Fun stuff!  Kind of like Dr. Frankenstein...

• Thanks for the posts.  We ended up uninstalling Kaseya from both systems and reinstall the agents.  That seems to have fixed the issue.  They still have the SID issue, but, Kaseya works well! :)  

We typically sysprep our master computer image and then use that to build up new systems.  In this case, however, the user initiated the clone from a Windows 7 image backup of another user's system.  Hence, the issues.

Thanks!

• Have you considered getting the two users by the scruffs of their necks and...

... I haven't vetted or tested the contents in this link, but it looks like quite a good doc on sysprepping to generate a new SID. www.brajkovic.info/.../how-to-change-sid-on-windows-7-and-windows-server-2008-r2-using-sysprep

:-)

• Fortunately, this is the first (and hopefully last) time this has happened.  Thanks for the article!

• Here's an article from Sysinternals on the SID duplication myth and why they retired NewSID:

blogs.technet.com/.../3291024.aspx

It also mentions that there have been issues when using NewSID with Vista/7 that could cause other components to fail.