Kaseya Community

Patching and Wake-On-LAN

This question is not answered

Hello,

I am new to Kaseya and have recently installed the server. I have been browsing this forum for a while but am unable to find the correct answer, so I decided to post here.

1. I understand that the Patch process works using Microsoft Automatic Updates, so a connection to the Internet is important. If there is no connection to the Internet it uses the Microsoft cab file that the Kaseya server downloads, however that only contains the critical updates. So, does that mean that even while running a Patch Scan, the machine needs to be connected to the Internet to figure out what updates it needs? I have also tried disabling the Automatic Updates service and even after it installs the patches, the next Patch Scan still shows that its missing updates. Our servers don't talk to the Internet at all, I'm assuming most users have the same setup, so how are you all using the Patch process in Kaseya for servers? Do you install a Windows SUS server on the same machine as Kaseya is installed or use something else?

2. I have had no luck "Waking Up" machines using the Agent Status > hover mouse over an offline agent and then clicking Wake Machine. At first I thought I needed the "rw.exe" since that was missing from my vsaShared folder, but even after I copied that file, I have had no luck. So any Schedule I setup with the "Wake machine if offline" checked, doesn't work.

Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sau

All Replies
  • Hi Sau,

1. Actually it's not only the Critical updates, with the CAB based method you get a bit more than that.  This should be helpful: help.kaseya.com/.../index.htm

I've seen customers using SUS servers as a supplement in these types of scenarios where endpoints cannot/do not have internet access.

2.  When you state 'offline agent' is the machine(s) truly powered off?  WOL enabled on them as well?  

thanks!

Rob

• Hi Rob,

Thanks for the link. So is it possible to disable the Automatic Updates service on the machines, since Kaseya will take care of the patching process? I have noticed that when I run a Patch Scan on a server that has the Automatic Updates service disabled, it doesn't report back to the Kaseya server any results of the patch scan, since when I click on Patch Mgmt > Machine Update, that particular server does not have a link.

Yes, the machines are truly powered off and WOL is enabled on them.

Thanks,

Sau

• Was there an answer to this? "Wake Up" in Quick View doesn't work for me either, yet manually running rw.exe from another machine on the same LAN does work.

• Hi Greig, no I'm still having problems with the "Wake Up" in Quick View. It works intermittently and am unsure why that is. I haven't looked much into the rw.exe procedure, but how do you use it? I mean do you have to type all MAC address in a file and then run rw.exe on it? Has that worked for you all the times? Thanks.

• In our experience I have found the following with regard to WOL...

50% of Fujitsu workstations will boot 100% of the time using WOL.

25% of Fujitsu workstations will boot only if the machine has gone into power save \ standby.

25% of Fujitsu workstations will ignore all WOL Packets sent on all ports no matter what BIOS Version or Settings are in place.

I have yet to see a consistent fix for this, we have pretty much given up though as if it is a BIOS change \ upgrade we can't possible do them all so WOL is hit and miss, if it works great, if it doesn't then, well it doesn't.

Not sure what other Manufacturers are like in this regard, we have a few HPs and Dells around but by no means enough to do any real testing on this.

• I have found with Dell workstations (we don't have a lot of other MFGs equipment) that a combination of BOTH BIOS and OS level NIC settings is required. At the OS level, the NIC needs to be set to allow the device to wake the computer with a magic packet. This is easy enough to set on a running system. The BIOS setting (wake on lan enabled on the NIC and i usually enable S3 power mode) has been an issue up until I discovered the Dell Client Configuration Utility. This is a pretty cool tool that allows you to read the BIOS and create BIOS update packages that with update the BIOS from the running OS. I was able to easily make a K-Scripts to pull the BIOS information so I can analyze it and also create a BIOS update EXE that just sets the 4 or 5 paramaters that I want to modify. It's only support on Dell business class PCs (Optiplex, Precision, Latitude) and so far I've tested with a several different models. It seems the BIOS settings are the same on the few models I've tried (used the same settings EXE) but I'll probably create a settings EXE for each model just to be safe. I would expect that if Dell has a tool like this then the other manufacturers must have something similar as well.

• I generally run it on another machine and my script prompts for the MAC to wake. It seems to work most of the time for the mostly HP fleet.

What I'd *really* like to know how to do is be able to run it on the machine which is off, and the script gets the MAC itself from the DB, and picks a random online machine in the same group (on the same subnet) to run the wake from. Is this possible? How does the "wake" function on the QuickView menu actually work under the hood, because surely, to work at all, it must do this?

[edited by: Greig McGill at 12:57 PM (GMT -7) on 10-24-2011] Added an extra question.
  • @Greig, Very good quiestion that hopefully someone will answer... I do exactly the same as you with a prompting script.. surely the wake button can be configured to do the same :)