Kaseya Community

Agent copied itself and added a -1 at its usual name

This question is answered


[edited by: Sander at 6:50 AM (GMT -7) on 8-24-2011] somehow it deleted all my text written. so i had to write it all again -.-
Verified Answer
  • Hey,

    just wanted to tell how i solved the problem. Its not the best solution, but it works^^


    I compare the MacAdresses in the SQL Server, if there is one twice i´ll get a Mail. So i never have to check if there is one agent twice unless i get a mail. 

    I use a Kaseya Script+Batchfile+SQL Script for that.

    So if anybody has the same problem and wanna look at my scrips, just contact me:

    kp@sander365.de


     

All Replies
  • Hey everybody,

    i just noticed, that one of my agents copied itself and added a -1 at its name.

    when the person starts his agent, the -1 agent checks in, not the one which is supposed to do that.

    so i compared the last check in and first check in of both agents:

    last check in "correct" agent: june 21

    first check in -1 agent: june 22

    so i checked what happened thos days.

    i updated the RAM of the Kaseya Server, so i had to turn it off and all the agents checked in to another server.

    the other server does not exist anymore so i cant proof if the -1 agent existed there.

    what i can say is, that i never created this agent not at the current server and also not at the second server.

    also i cant remember seeing that agent before, looks like it just appeared, but i might be wrong at this.

    also all the information in those agents are the same...mac address...ip...etc.

    my question is if anybody can explain that to me? why did the agent copy itself? is it usual for kaseya to add a -1 if the name of the agent already exist?

    if you need any more information plaese let me know.

    Thank you and regards,

    Sander

    P.S. somehow i cant post the question, so i try it that way.

  • Hi Sander

    I've seen this happen quite a few times.  Why it does it I don't know but I simply remove the original account then rename the one with the -1.  I think it's possibly your kserver thinking that two machines with the same name are checking in, which would cause a problem in the group, so it added the -1 suffix.  We had a machine that every day it checked in it added a new instance and we never noticed until it got to -56 but apart from using up licences it's not a huge problem.  On that machine we reinstalled the agent and have had no problems since.

  • Hi Alistair Curran,

    thank you for your answer. good to know, that i´m not the only one having that problem. my problem is that the new -1 agent also takes a license.

    i hope there is somebody else who can tell us why that happens :)

    regards,

    Sander

  • We have had the same problem and it all begun with upgrading to K2. K2 can have multiple agents installed on one machine.

    Before K2 we used to deploy agents by logon script or policy and the installer file was available at client side.

    After upgrading to K2 the agents where also updated to a newer version.  After a reboot of the system the older agent got installed next to the latest version.

    So it’s not advised to install the agent by logon script because the installer file easily gets out-dated.

  • @Patrick - This is not true.  Kaseya agents work off a GUID and using a login script in K2 is a perfectly acceptable method.  I do recommend removing any v5 login packages but a K2 package in a login script is just fine.  For those getting a -1 that may be just a bug.  Typically what's happening is that the GUID that is assigned to the agent install package is not the same as the one on the server so the server is creating another agent and adding a -1 extension.  Create a ticket and have support take a look at it.

  • Hey,

    just wanted to tell how i solved the problem. Its not the best solution, but it works^^


    I compare the MacAdresses in the SQL Server, if there is one twice i´ll get a Mail. So i never have to check if there is one agent twice unless i get a mail. 

    I use a Kaseya Script+Batchfile+SQL Script for that.

    So if anybody has the same problem and wanna look at my scrips, just contact me:

    kp@sander365.de