Kaseya Community

AVG being uninstalled by user

This question is not answered

Has anyone seen a message when trying to push AVG that is show uninstalled be User, when in fact you for certain the user is not blocking or uninstalling it? Any ideas?

All Replies
  • when AVG is updated, not the defs, the entire application, the installer uninstalls the current version and then installs the new version. Here's the problem.... if the installer fails for any reason, it will rollback the new install (removing all files), the problem is that the old version has already been uninstalled so the rollback leaves the machine with no AV software at all. Kaseya then reports that the software was uninstalled by user when in reality it was an install that went bad. I've seen them go bad for one major reason, registry permissions. AVG 8.5 (and sometimes 9) when uninstalled will leave some registry keys with the wrong permissions. When you attempt to reinstall, the keys can't be accessed and therefore the install fails. There is a registry reset tool that can be downloaded from AVG or Kaseya. Run that on the machine, then try to reinstall AVG.

• "There is a registry reset tool that can be downloaded from AVG or Kaseya. Run that on the machine, then try to reinstall AVG."

Where can I or any other person get this file from?

(commence search)

• www.avg.com/.../utilities - the first two items in the list, one is for 32bit one for 64bit.

• Just another note for you. I've also found that reinstalls may not always work because the AVG installer tries to install the Microsoft C++ redistribute (aka MSVC). Many times this component will fail the install which rolls back the entire installation leaving now KES on the machine. In that case, you have to remote to the machine and install manually using  AVGInstall.exe  and include a command line switch that tells the installer to not to attempt to install the MSVC part.

• License initialization failed with the license number null.The License Number is not valid. Please verify the License Number has been entered correctly and entire (copied from the e-mail, registration card or retail package label).

This is what is in the avg install log, not sure how the license could be invalid if its coming right off the Kserver.

• John - was this from a pushed install or a manual install of AVG?

• This was from a pushed install from the Security / KES module. (I submitted a ticket as I posted this)

• opening a ticket with support would be the best option for that, that's very strange. When pushed, KES sends a script that runs and fills in all the variables such as the software key. If you continue to have issues here is the steps for the manual install. I've had to use this a few times because no matter what I did would get the KES pushed properly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manual Instructions:

1) Go to your kaseya server and go to location \\Kaseya\WebPages\ManagedFiles\VSAHiddenFiles\av\

There are 2 avg install files there. one for machines that have exchange installed (avgExchangeInstall.exe) or machines with no exchange (avgInstall.exe)

Copy the avgInstall.exe to the affected endpoint.

2) Run the installer from a cmd prompt and point to the directory with avgInstall.exe file. Run using this syntax

avgInstall.exe /NO_VC_REDIST

3) You will be prompted for your license code, which is:

8KASEYA-<Contact Kaseya support for your AVG license key>

4) If the install completes without any problems, you will need to install again over this installation from the KES console so that you can start managing it.

Go to the kaseya ui; security>install/remove and run the "Verify Install" option to begin managing the installation from the KES console.

If the installation still fails with the switch, please send us a screenshot of any errors and the installation log which will be found in %TEMP%\avg9inst.log

[edited by: nick.nunez at 6:56 PM (GMT -7) on 10-2-2011] Removed AVG license key
  • Steve, thank you for the manual instructions. I've had similar problems with KAV. Would these steps plus a few changes do the same thing?

• Don’t know about KAV. There was so many issues when we test-bed it that we left it alone for now.

Description: Normal

Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:40 PM
    To: community_agentdiscussions@kaseya.com
    Subject: [SPAM] Re: [Kaseya Community: Agent Discussions] AVG being uninstalled by user
    Importance: Low

Steve, thank you for the manual instructions. I've had similar problems with KAV. Would these steps plus a few changes do the same thing?

• Kaseya Ticket support Resolved my problem. Refreshing my license keys did the trick. Now I am able to push from the security module. Thanks again.

• “refreshing license keys”… where did you do that at?

Description: Normal

Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 3:05 PM
    To: community_agentdiscussions@kaseya.com
    Subject: [SPAM] RE: [Kaseya Community: Agent Discussions] [SPAM] Re: AVG being uninstalled by user
    Importance: Low

Kaseya Ticket support Resolved my problem. Refreshing my license keys did the trick. Now I am able to push from the security module. Thanks again.