Kaseya Community

New machine group naming convention causes sorting issues.

• One of the columns I like to display on the agent status menu is the group id field.  However, the K2 naming convention puts the group name at the end of the group id field instead of the beginning.  This wreaks havoc on any attempts to sort agents by group id.  Group id sorts are now done by subgroup; all of the "root" subgroups appear together.  The result is a company with agents in the "root" of the group, and multiple subgroups will have its data show up in different parts of an on-screen list or report.  Any plans to fix this?

Jim

• Use the machine group and view filters maybe?

Also "root" is not a sub group its the primary machine group and it is the first machine group that gets created when you add an Organization in Kaseya. The first group you see is not really a machine group but the Organization ID. K2 does not use Machine Groups to sort your customers but instead uses the Organization IDs. The Machine Groups are more meant to sort agents for an Organization by network(office, dmz, home etc...) or geography(countries, cities etc....).

(agentname).(primary_machinegroup).(sub_machinegroup).(orgID) = (agentname).root.(sub_machinegroup).myorg

When you create an Organization (aka add a new customer) in Kaseya you get the option to name your primary Machine Group to something other then root, I would recommend that you do as "root" is not a very descriptive name. Giving it the same name as the Organization redundant instead call it something like "office", "school" or "shop" and then create sub groups for the different networks or geographical locations (London, NY, HongKong, etc...).    

I know it is strange and yes you will need to get your head around it, just about everybody struggles with the concept when moving from Kaseya 5.x to Kaseya 6.x.

[edited by: HardKnoX at 1:58 AM (GMT -8) on 1-19-2011] typo
  • I understand the OU concept. (I'm an old Netware CNE.)  That is not the problem.  The problem comes when I want to look at the agents from more than one company  (e.g., all Windows 2008 servers from all companies).   Half the companies have only one location, so their agents are in the "root.company" OU.  The other half have more than one location.  Of the latter half, most have a local location (e.g., "dallas.company")  and several remote locations  (e.g., "austin.company", "houston.company",etc.).  Most (but not all) of these multi-location companies do not have a "root.company" OU.    When I use a view that includes agents from more than one company and use "group ID" in the first column, the agents from one company wind up scattered all over the list like this:

austin.company         computername

dallas.company         computername

dallas.company2      computername

dallas.company3     computername

houston.company2  computername

houston.company3  computername

root.company            computername

root.company4          computername

root.company5          computername

I think the solution is to allow us to select "Organization" as one of the columns.