Kaseya Community

3rd party Software Management actual logic

This question is answered

Hello everyone,

I’m new to SM module, I’ve been reading the documentation but honestly it’s SO poor regarding 3rd party management. I’ve a real "trivia" question:

When I assign a title, let’s say “Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (Continuous) 2019.010.20099.60178…” to a profile, what does it happen EXACTLY:

During scan

a. only matching version (2019.010.20099.60178) will be detected and scanned on clients

b. every matching version and all previous versions will be detected and scanned on clients

c. Every version will be scanned anyway.

During deployment

a. Every previous version found on client will be upgraded to 2019.010.20099.60178 + available patches

b. Only matching version found on clients will be patched, but no major version will be upgraded.

c. Only matching version will be upgraded to the latest major release (e.g. 2019.010.20099.60180)

d. Other?

I’m thinking about Java: how do you guys configure profiles? What's the consequence of selecting and deploying a single Update number?

Thanks to those who will contribute

Gabriele

Verified Answer
  • Hello Oscar and thank you for your answer.

Even if you didn’t pick my “a” or “b” or “c” choices, I think I’ve a clearer idea now:

The “3rd-Party Software” menu is not about patches. This is just a tool for deploying specific software to managed machines while patching other vulnerabilities. As per my opinion, this should belong to “Software Deployment” module, but maybe it was implemented for admins that don’t have SD license activated.

In practice, changing or creating 3rd-Party Software profiles won’t change scanned software or deployed patches. They are two completely separate procedures.

Am I right?

All Replies
  •  - Any third party application within your profile will scan against the endpoint.  If there is an update available (latest major version) to that respective application, it will be available for deployment.

To elevate exceptions, I recommend utilizing the advanced over-ride profiles if you have key scenarios which require application approval/deployment/rejection.

• Hello Oscar and thank you for your answer.

Even if you didn’t pick my “a” or “b” or “c” choices, I think I’ve a clearer idea now:

The “3rd-Party Software” menu is not about patches. This is just a tool for deploying specific software to managed machines while patching other vulnerabilities. As per my opinion, this should belong to “Software Deployment” module, but maybe it was implemented for admins that don’t have SD license activated.

In practice, changing or creating 3rd-Party Software profiles won’t change scanned software or deployed patches. They are two completely separate procedures.

Am I right?

• What happened? My last answer got deleted when I clicked "Yes" near "Did this answer your question?".

Short answer is that 3rd-Party software profiles has nothing to do with patches. This is just another way to deploy specific software versions to clients (this is a mini-version of Software Deployment module)