Kaseya Community

How to create a low c:\ view

This question is not answered

Hi is it possible to create a dynamic view based on low c:\ drive space. I would rather see the list of machines and select which ones i want to script to clean up. And others i could investigate first. So a dynamic view that i can then run scripts from after selecting machines would be good.

All Replies
  • Indirectly, yes, to an extent. We setup a dummy agent procedure (one that does nothing is fine). Then, setup low disk space alerts to run this dummy procedure.

Now, in views, open the agent procedure section, and select your procedure under the "agent procedure xxxxx HAS executed in the last N days". Set N to your preferred time period.

It's pretty crude, but it sort of works - the problem being low disk alerts are only generated *once* when the agent crosses an alerting threshold - so a machine that has had low disk for a few months (for example) or pre-existing won't get picked up. We also believe the disk space is only checked during a 'latest audit'  - so if you don't run audits regularly, you won't get alerts.

• Oy!!  We had "latest" audits configured to run monthly over a 4-day period (1300 agents), and during a Sev-1 performance issue that brought a client's VSA to it's knees, I was told that running audits that frequently was excessive and could contribute to performance issues! We now configure them to run quarterly and spread the load over the entire 3 months! (The actual issue was the ticket table corrupted during a switch from Service Desk to Ticketing that left 50K unprocessed events in the table, but this was interesting insight.)

Our RMM Suite can accomplish this in two ways - we have Smart Monitors that run hourly to check disk space and self-clean based on default and configurable parameters. They alert only when self-cleaning isn't successful or the threshold is crossed by 75%. Our Daily Audit tool pulls the latest disk space and uploads it to a custom field - daily, as the name implies. The custom-field can easily drive a view.

The problem with any of the view-based methods is that the value in the custom field is a snapshot of free space or free %, which has no point of reference. This is the reason for our Smart Monitors - it knows that 2% of 90GB is more critical than 2% of 2TB.

Glenn

• Kaseya and performance is always a bit tricky, but we do run daily latest audits without performance hit on some 1300 servers and run them weekly on our 5500 workstations. That shouldn't be a big problem for a Kaseya server with the recommended specs.