Kaseya Community

Kaseya Agent and Microsoft Unified Write Filter

• Hello,

I am working on a Windows image at the moment and we will be using Microsoft's Unified Write Filter to maintain the state for our endpoints. Are there any file or registry paths that must remain writeable to ensure continued operation of the Agent? Each time the computer boots it will be at the same point as it was on day one (much like groundhog day!). 

Are there any gotchas or persistence issues that would be useful for me to know?

Thanks!

• Something to keep in mind: Every agent has a personal agentguid (Like a unique ID).  If this changes at any point in time and/or is not maintained consistently, there will be check-in problems on that particular agent.

• Thank you for the response.

I was under the impression that the AgentGUID was static for the machine, is this not correct?

• Yes, the agent GUID is static. So if you clone a machine (that has a static agent GUID), say, 50 times. guess what. 50 machines now all check in with the same GUID.

Can you see where this is going...?

The solution (if memory serves) is to install the agent with the machine off the Internet, then clone/image. Hence, the image hasn't yet checked in, hence it hasn't received a GUID as yet....the cloned boxes will therefore all check in 'for the first time' and get a unique GUID.