Kaseya Community

License Capture for Office 2013 Home/Business and Volume License

This question is answered

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to capture an Office 2013 license from Kaseya.  I am unable to capture those licenses and it is making OS re-installation difficult. 

For Office Pro Plus 2013, I see that it is installed but there is no key:

Verified Answer
  • I raised a ticket with support last week - this was the response...

This will not going to reflect on Audit as well in Report, MS Office 2013 license keys not displaying is a known issue and is not presently supported, though Engineering is presently working to address this in a sooner than later time frame.

The current hotfix for this issue does the following > Office 2013 license key support decoding is not supported and we have already hot-fixed KLicense.exe to display that this is not supported in the key column for this type of software title

All Replies
  • Sorry, I thought I added screen-shots but I guess they didn't come through.

• Hi,

Is that what you mean?

Regards,

Matt Warburton

Kaseya Professional Services

• In response to Matt:

That's half of the issue.

The other half is that I can't even see that office 2013 home/business is installed and licensed when I look at "Software Licenses."  I can see it by going into Add/Remove but that's completely different from previous versions of Office and I still can't see the key.

• Hi,

I am not sure if Microsoft changed the way in which they store product keys and licenses, but perhaps our audit does not know how to deal with this new version.  Please submit a customer service ticket, and explain the issue to see if this is the case or if something else is going on.  If we need to improve our audit to pick up Office 2013 licensing information then customer support will submit the issue into our feature/enhancement request queue.

Regards,

Matt

• I raised a ticket with support last week - this was the response...

This will not going to reflect on Audit as well in Report, MS Office 2013 license keys not displaying is a known issue and is not presently supported, though Engineering is presently working to address this in a sooner than later time frame.

The current hotfix for this issue does the following > Office 2013 license key support decoding is not supported and we have already hot-fixed KLicense.exe to display that this is not supported in the key column for this type of software title

• David, thank you.

• Was this ever addressed in 6.5?  I'm showing Office 2013 on my Win8.1 machine with no license but am not able to pull anything besides what is add/remove on Win7 machines.

• "...the Office 2013 installers remove all but the last five characters of the install product key once the installation completes. " -www.belarc.com/msproductkeys.html

Guessing that's on purpose... so this will probably never work again, considering Kaseya would need your Office.com login information and some kind of API to look these up.

• So do we just stop providing our clients with MS Office licensing reports? That's a big part of being an MSP.

• Agreed it's not great that we can't auto-generate an Office 2013 licensing report when we pick up a new customer.  There's not a product out there (to my knowledge) that can obtain 2013 licensing info from a machine. This is Microsoft's doing, not Kaseya's.

We keep track of licenses in ConnectWise when we purchase with each customer.  I guess you could also create a custom field in Kaseya and enter it in there.

• Hi there

Yes, this is Microsofts doing. You may at least get the 5 last digits to either compare with any subscrtiption, volume license or OEM box. Microsoft delivers a VBS script in the root of the Office installation called "ospp.vbs" just cor this task. I've made a procedure for this license problem and have been using it for quite a while now. I also get a lot more, like if the Office  product are activated or in grace mote. The result can be like this image below. Create the three custom fields "CF MS Office Key Info", "CF MS Office License Status" and "CF MS Office License Description". Note: I always use "CF" before a custom filed indicating that it is.... a custom field.

You can get the Agent Procedure from our public Dropbox link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4573710/Upstream%20Power%20Pack/GetOffice2013keys.zip

I've included the CURL and GREP commands I use to manipulate the text output from the VB script within the zip file. Enjoy.

The results of running the Office 2013 key Agent Procedure with custom  fields created:

spellcheck
    [edited by: Ronny Tunfjord at 12:14 AM (GMT -7) on Oct 22, 2014]
  • Hi Ronny,

thks for the info. from your printscreen I see that you have warranty info.

do you have it both for severs and workstations ?

rgds

• Well, we use a mix of Updatewarranty.com and maunal input. Both on workstations and servers actually. That's bound for another thread, right : ) Do you think the Office info above is "good enough" for reporting to clients?

spellcheck.
    [edited by: Ronny Tunfjord at 1:14 AM (GMT -7) on Oct 22, 2014]
  •  How do you handle multiple products? As if you have for instance Visio installed this shows up as a separate product for licencing.