Kaseya Community

Monthly customer reports - what do you do?

• How do you all do monthly customer reporting, if you do it?

On Kaseya 5 I used to have two reports go out.. one was a hardware inventory showing all machines and some basic stats.  The other was an executive summary showing patch management status, disk space, and security alerts.

Personally I'd love to give the customer a single summary with only custom info I wanted.  In K2, which I'm still learning, it seems like the interface got more complicated but the substance behind it didn't change.  

One thing we like is to create an "inappropriate" software report that shows criteria like this:

"*limewire*" OR "*netflix*" OR "*torrent*" OR "*bearshare*" OR "*morpheus*"

Customers love it.  However I have to create a third report to do it.. I hate sending three PDF files to my clients each month.  I'd rather send them all in one file.  Can I do this?

What do you all do for reporting?

• Meh, I was really hoping to hear from someone.. it really seems like a pain to schedule these reports in K2.

• We are writing our own outside of K but using the database views to summarise the info we want to present to customers. We'll also be doing our own scheduling and sending an email summary with a link to more comprehensive information stored on our system.

Like you we don't want to send multiple files and without being too unkind, the standard K reports are a bit sucky, though some of the content is presented usefully e.g. the summary disk usage graphs.

• We are trying to make a more interesting report for our customers so i would like to know the software you are using for writing your own reports.

Thank you in advance.

• Hi,

We originally developed new reports using SQL reporting services - just interface direcly to the Kaseya DB and you can make up whatevery you want, plus you can schedule using SQL reporting to automatically send the reports to your clients - you can have multiple pages in one pdf which is handy.

we are now building a new website that our clients will log into (built in ASP) so the SQL reporting is going to be retired but most definitely the easiest way outside of K to do reporting plus if your using K2 you already have it installed I would say.

• Kaseya is looking to do customizable reporting in the future, but I feel your pain. We too have had to go outside of Kaseya to run custom reports from Reporting Services. We just signed a deal with TigerPaw so I think we're going to end up using TigerPaws reporting engine with all our Kaseya end points as "Assets" I'll let you know how it tuns out.....

Until Kaseya gets their custom reporting down, I'd second mmartin with reporting services

• Hi,

We also use Reporting Services. For the graphics parts, we have Dundas Charts for RS. They work great! We can customize our reports the way we want and also configure automatic subscriptions.

[edited by: Patricio Carpio at 8:13 PM (GMT -7) on 8-27-2010]
  • Hi all,

Good points made re K reporting, but one thing to note in K2 is that you CAN create 'report sets'. A report set is a collection of saved reports that you can schedule as a single entity, i.e. you might send an Exec Summary, Machine Summary and a Backup Log to customers monthly for example, so you could put all three reports into one report set, then schedule the single set. At least then, a customer can receive a single email, with links to the individual reports within it. Not exactly what you're after, I know, but it does make the scheduling and management of multiple reports easier and neater from the client perspective.

Thanks,

Josh

• Out of curiousity do you all send the reports as is or do you write a little commentry for your customers about what the figures mean and what's been happening this month/quarter. We're reviewing our reporting at the moment as its a bit time consuming at the moment but we're worryed as to whether the bare report would mean anything to our customers

• @Nick - I think that the reports you create and what the customer does will determine if the reports are worth while. Some of our customers could care less about Exec reports, they just want to see ticket statics, others only care about security logs and remote logs. Still others like the report for the 1st few months and now have rules set to auto dump the reports into the trash bin. so I think it depends on the customer. Personally I don't care to see a lot of reports b/c something repetitive like that makes you become numb.  Especially if you're worried about other things not IT b/c your IT MSP is so awesome that you don't have to worry! :D

• @Nick ,

right now I have the same issue,  I have a client who this week complained that she is receiving the monthly executive summary but she felt frustrated because she doesn't understand it. She was asking me for a kind of lights system. Maybe this is the same feeling that other clients have so I start to be concerned and I need to change this soon.  Danrche is right, maybe  the clients are just sending the reports to the bin, but those reports show a lot of work done, but there is no purpose if the client do not understand the info.

Now I am working in the reports that will be send on Tuesday, adding a few lines that might  explain better the report, I mentioned the client the Notes at the end of the report, but the client wants something short and meaningful. how most of Kaseya admins manage this?

I got some books in Reporting Services trying to develop the Report System myself but I know very very little of SQL ,  I don't know how much time It will take me to develop this new reports with SQL, I am a network person I think I could do it,  the question is how much time it will take me and especially if the clients will wait :(

Any blueprints about how everybody  started  developing their own reports? or how admins are handling these issues??   I am looking forward  for the Zabbix integration with Kaseya that might help?

Please any recommendations, comments, suggestions,  I don't think that writing 50 little summaries every month will be sustainable.

Thanks

[edited by: anbant at 11:20 AM (GMT -8) on 1-28-2011] @Nick , right now I have the same issue, I have a client who this week complained that she is receiving the monthly executive summary but she felt frustrated because she doesn't understand it. She was asking me for a kind of lights system. Maybe this is the same feeling that other clients have so I start to be concerned and I need to change this soon. Danrche is right, maybe the clients are just sending the reports to the bin, but those reports show a lot of work done, but there is no purpose if the client do not understand the info. Now I am working in the reports that will be send on Tuesday, adding a few lines that might explain better the report, I mentioned the client the Notes at the end of the report, but the client wants something short and meaningful. how most of Kaseya admins manage this? I got some books in Reporting Services trying to develop the Report System myself but I know very very little of SQL , I don't know how much time It will take me to develop this new reports with SQL, I am a network person I think I could do it, the question is how much time it will take me and especially if the clients will wait :( Any blueprints about how everybody started developing their own reports? or how admins are handling these issues?? I am looking forward for the Zabbix integration with Kaseya that might help? Please any recommendations, comments, suggestions, I don't think that writing 50 little summaries every month will be sustainable. Thanks