Kaseya Community

2008 SQL Express R2 and Kaseya w/ 200 Agents also running Service Desk

This question is answered

Hello,

We are currently running Kaseya w/ about 200 Agents this has been going fine and the response times seem good.  We started testing SD and at first it was fine but now that we have actually implemented it we are finding it to be significantly slower than what we expected.  I am guessing that the SD uses the SQL DB more activily and I am thinking that is what is causing my lag time.  Opening or Saving a ticket can be a 10-20 second process there are only 2 of us currently using the system and many times one of us is idle while the other is working in the system. 

I did some research and found that SQL Express has a limit of 10G which I was aware of but also has limits set on CPU and Memory which I did not realize at first (1 CPU and 1GB Memory).  I also found via some sites that a feature in SQL Express there is a feature "Auto Close" that is set to True, they recommended turning this to "False" I did try this and maybe it helped a little but not significate. 

I was wondering if anyone had any other possible suggestions or should I just pony up and go to standard?  SQL is not a strong point for me so maybe there is a way for me to performance test and verify that SQL is actually my bottleneck?  The Server is a Dual Proc Quad Core 2.2ghz Xeon with 16GB Memory and I am Gig attached via the network so I really don't see that an issue, also have 10k Drives in a Raid 1.

Thanks,

Greg

Verified Answer
  • gssieg, trying running Kaseya on IE and Chrome side by side on your workstation. You're possibly seeing a performance difference due to the processing of the client-side scripts. Websites offload processing to local browser to improve performance. It's likely the server has more horsepower to process the code than on your workstation. It's wide known though that Chrome's ground-up rebuild of how client-side scripting is processed is superior.

If you see a difference with Chrome (night and day for me).

All Replies
  • Hi Greg,

If everything is going slow and your unsure where your bottle neck is (although I agree with you it will more than likely be SQL) check out kaseya's performance graphs.

goto System > Statistics. When it says Statistics collected at ......... THis is actually a hyperlink which will take you off to a whole page of performance monitoring of the kaseya server. Look through these and pay attention to the last few of disk IO as this is typically a sore point on most peoples kaseya servers.

• Looks like your server is above the minimum stats listed - help.kaseya.com/.../system-requirements.asp

My recommendation for SQL is to spread the load across as many disks as you can, shouldn't really be required for the numbers you're talking but every little helps.

Use some of the SQL monitoring sets that are available to self monitor the server.

• ^^ +1

and put your tempdb on a different drive set

• Guys,

Thank you for the responses.  I took a look at the stats over the last few weeks and besides when my backup runs my IO seems to be under 20MB normally I see a few spikes to 40-50MB and a very few quick jumps to around 110MB (These are extremely rare and quick though)  As I stated right now I am using local disk 10k drives but I think they should be able to handle this IO.  I will be moving Kaseya into a virtual environment in the coming months and moving the storage off to a new SAN which should have more than enough IO.  

At this point I am think it just has to be SQL.  I found some tips online and I am going to try to make some tweaks (Turn off Auto Close is one feature that I see causes problems).  I will see if any of these allow for any improvement if not I will just deal with it until we can move to our new environment and hopefully pickup SQL Standard.

• Hello again,

I have a few updates all of my changes nothing seemed to matter.  Today I just so happened to be on the server (RDP) and was messing around with some stuff and instead of loading kaseya from my PC web I opened IE directly on the server RDP session.  I found Kaseya to be much much faster in fact it was night and day so then I opened up another instance on my desktop and split my screens on the server load time was 7-10 seconds faster than at my PC.  So I thought ok network?  I check were running 1GB both server and PC are on 1GB.  I went as far as changing the cable on the server with a new one just in case.  I checked everything else and no change.  I realize the server doesn't have to go over the lan but I can't see the lan adding that much of an issue.  Any thoughts are where to look next?

• gssieg, trying running Kaseya on IE and Chrome side by side on your workstation. You're possibly seeing a performance difference due to the processing of the client-side scripts. Websites offload processing to local browser to improve performance. It's likely the server has more horsepower to process the code than on your workstation. It's wide known though that Chrome's ground-up rebuild of how client-side scripting is processed is superior.

If you see a difference with Chrome (night and day for me).

• Hi Guys,

On the side of Chrome I use it as well as it processes Ajax much better than IE. The only reason some people don't use chrome is because of the remote control active x. There is a chrome plugin that allows activex and so I am able to do everything I can in IE but without the lag.

Just my 2 cents.

• You know when I first started using the SD I was trying out Chrome on my PC.  I then replaced the PC and honeslty just didn't see that big of a deal for chrome so I never reinstalled it on this PC.  I installed firefox but because of ActiveX I always use IE for Kaseya.  I told one of the guys to try Chrome this morning and it was night and day difference.  I then tried Firefox myself and again night and day difference.  It's crazy how different they ran I mean don't get me wrong my server is Dual Proc Xeons w/ 16GB but my workstations are i5's w/4GB it's not like they are slugs by any means.  Now if only Kaseya could find a way to better run there remoting and such so I didn't have to download and open an active x file all the time!

• This is the link to Chromes activeX pluggin

chrome.google.com/.../lgllffgicojgllpmdbemgglaponefajn

Install it and Chrome will now automatically run your activex files

• Lingario,

Where would I find this pluggin, I was only able to find an "IE Tabs" plugin and it sucked I didn't like it at all.

• Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated!  Any chance anyone know of an Active X plugin for Firefox?