Kaseya Community

Backup Score in Executive Summary Report

• You can get a Backup Exec score in the Executive Summary report with the method below. It should be straight-forward to use the same procedure to add other backup types, (NtBackup.exe, etc.) or in fact ANY program that writes events to the NT event logs

First identify the NT Event Log events that are written to the application log by BackupExec.

Backup Exec Events:
    Success: 34112
    Complete with Exceptions: 57755
    Failed: 33808 or 34113 or 34114

To get this to an Executive Summary

1) Create an event set for "Success" and one for "Failure"
    2) Create an agent procedure for "Success" and for "Failure"

3) When the event set detects a "Success" or "Failure" event, have the event set run the correct agent Procedure.  The agent procedures then write "BackupExec Success" (or "BackupExec Failure") to the procedure log. 

4) Then, in Executive Summary, on the System Activity tab, add a header that says "Backup Exec"

5) Add "Backup Success" row type "Script log", reference your procedure above and filter for the message written to the procedure log. 

6) Add "Backup Failure" row type "Script log", reference your procedure above and filter for the message written to the procedure log. 

• Use the above as an example, but this procedure will work for ANY program that writes "Success" or "Failure" message to any of the event logs.

• This looks nice, but I personally really hate the executive summary report.

I can't wait for the possibility to create my own reports, and then i will most certainly add this to my report sets :-).

• Hi,

One way you can do your own reports now is to use Database Views. (This is not trivial - but it allows access to third party reporting programs.)

The help file has all the information available about what data is available and includes instruction on how to link the database views with Excel and with Crystal Reports. Open help, and from the index, select the letter "D" and you'll see Database Views listed twice. The first listing is general information about how to connect. The second link is more detailed information about the data in the views.

There are four groups or types of data provided.

1. Machine Info (Audits, Installed Software, Uptime History, etc.

2. Activity / Status. Agent Log, Patch Status, Script Status, backup log, etc.

3. Ticketing

4. Monitor Alarm (Alarms, Processes, SNMP object, system checks, etc.)