Kaseya Community

Turning off maintenance during customer business hours to reduce performance impacts

• Subject:  Make sure that heavy maintenance procedures and AV (with KAV & KES) are not performed when desktop users come in and power up their machines.

Summary:  Many times it is overlooked that when you schedule maintenance like Disk Clean and Disk Defrag on desktops within Kaseya, that you likely want to "skip if offline".  In other words if I scheduled Defrag at 1AM on a Tuesday night and that laptop is currently turned off at 1AM, when the user arrives in the morning and opens their laptop lid, I very likely don't want their system running a defrag.  There are a lot of instances where we want it to make up the missed schedule no matter what, so we ensure software is deployed or IPs are renewed, etc...  However, in the case of a desktop user, we want to mitigate the phone call (my machine is running extremely slow):

Selecting workstations in my instance:

Schedule Procedure and make sure to check "Skip if offline".  You'll notice below this, we have introduced in v6.2 the ability to power-up the machine with Wake-On-LAN or via Intel vPro.  Wake-On-Lan if there is another agent already online in the customer's LAN to broadcast a WoL request.  The beauty of this is that you add an agent procedure step to automatically power-down the machine once the defrag is completed.

For KAV, the logic is reversed because most people want to skip the scan by default, so you have to explicitly set KAV to make up the scan.

• Brendan,

This is great for desktops or machines which you know will be on, but for laptop users who take their machine with them, there is a risk that the system could go months without some of this maintenance running, and unless you setup re-occurring reports and manually executed the scripts, you would never know.  Wouldnt excluding ranges be a better way to achieve this (as long as the time period you exclude is in the same day)?  Just my .02 cents.  

• Bryan;  

"Exclude Ranges" specifically relates to the Distribution Window.  For example, I could schedule something on 5000 machines starting Sunday at Midnight for 7 days and Exclude the hours or 8am though 5pm... the event randomized to occure on each of of the 5000 machines sometimes between 5:01 pm and 7:59 am within the next 7 days.  They are actually randomized, rather then "spaced" within the allowed time so that you could later add another 1000 machines to the schedule to be equally randomized within the window.

The advantage the Kaseya frame work provides Brandons suggestion is, even if those machines are remote laptops, as long as they are powered on and have Internet access (assuming your kserver is Internet facing and the task isnt dependant on an internetwork resource), they will still recieve the instruction and perform the task... right there from the users kitchen table:-)

Kirk

Kaseya Senior Systems Engineer

• Kirk,

That is true, but it is also a very big if, and in many cases those traveling or with laptop scenarios many times have the greatest risk to the company, either by means of security risk by being in different "hostile" networks and/or being higher ranked staff within the organization, making it even more critical to ensure that performance and maintenance are addressed, and systems are secured properly.  In addition, its typically not the end users top concern to ensure their system is powered on and connected before they head to bed each night.  

Either solution works, I just think folks should think about the possible risks that come with a solution like that before they go and deploy across their entire environment and get caught with their pants down.

• Agreed.  

An option for these cases is to NOT skip.... but put an x number of minute "pause" as step one of the script (or use a pre-procedure if its something else being scheduled)... this will prevent the task from bogging down the system or competing with other startup functions when they first login.  

You can also create a view to identify you laptops, so you can schedule them differantly.  Here is one example of how.